Refreshing mulch

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by dannyc33, Sep 3, 2003.

1. dannyc33

dannyc33 LawnSite Member
    from indy

When you lay down mulch, especially new mulch you should usually put down 2-3 inches. I have some client who just want it "freshened" How much should I lay? 2-3 inches or less?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
  2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

That's really going to depend on whats there already. :cool:
  3. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Just enough to cover the old mulch. An inch, maybe less.
  4. 4-6" makes the best weed contol for exsisting weeds.

I try to maintain that depth.
  5. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

That much will smother out all roots of plants and shrubs over time, but yes, it will do excellent for choking weeds.

danny, refreshen the mulch to bring it back to the desirable depth. 3", maybe 4 in some places is desirable for me. No less than 2.5".

If 1" is there, put 2" on top, etc, etc, Irrigated beds will have more decompostion than non-irrigated beds.
  6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Top dressing is 1-2 inches of mulch.It is only for cosmetics. At 2 inches,a cubic yard covers 162 square feet.
  7. mpflood

mpflood LawnSite Member

Maybe you just need to rake lightly to fluff it up
    Bill the bajesus out of em
  8. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

If only 2 to 3 inches down now, you can add an more. If theres 4 or more inches already down, and there aren't an excessive amount of shrubs/plants/flowers, we use a Mantis cultivator machine to break it up and then smooth with a rake.....this is very healthy for the plants as it allows mositure, air, and nutrients to get to the roots. Many of us put down way too much mulch around trees/shrubs. Those "mulch volcanoes" we often see at shopping centers around trees and shrubs are the quickest way I know of to kill or stunt the growth of a tree.
  9. GLAN

GLAN Banned

We do the same as others have mentioned.

New 3"
    Freshen up 1" - 2"

Do understand that some mulches break down quicker than others. The cheap hardwood that I can get I can put down 4" and will be an 1" by end of season.
  10. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

A reason I'm disliking drip irrigation:

We're starting to cultivate the old layer.

Out here, we use bark mulch (barkdust).

It can become like a thatch layer after sitting for a couple of years.

We break up the layer, and sometimes that looks great. Often, the buried part was dark, rather than bleached and gray.

Adding bark should rarely depend on freshening, but rather maintaining a beneficial volume.

Maybe gravel "mulch" is the only one that needs no freshening.