Refreshing service call (literally)

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirty Water, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Here in Western WA, its rare that it hits 85-90 degrees, but this week has been an exception.

I'm not used to working in 90 degree weather, so I've been suffering.

I had a service call that required me to, among other things, install a double check on the irrigation take off.

The line running to the house was 1" PVC, about a foot down, the originally irrigation installer (not us, homeowner job), used a Compression Tee aligned verticly, ran the pipe up 6" and elbowed, and then had a cheap slip ball valve.

As I was digging the pipe up to make room for a double check, I noticed the elbow before the ball valve was seeping, seconds later, the elbow blew out and I got soaked like a drowned rat.

It felt GREAT :)

Closer inspection of the elbow once I shut off the house main showed lots of primer stains, but not a bit of a glue bead anywhere, yet other fittings in the area had obvious glue stains...I think the only thing holding it together was the dirt that I removed.
  2. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Gotta love them surprise drenchings.

When it is an unbearable day down here, I have several commercial properties scattered around town that I can stop and "adjust" a zone or two. And always try to adjust the head in the middle the longest. Cool and refreshing. And many times the said zones are near the pool area!
  3. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Hey Jon, for "fun" sometime, primer a fitting and piece of pipe. Get real liberal w/ the primer and then put them together. Leave them to set up, in the back of your truck or where ever. Then try and take them apart the next day!! When we "glue" pipe, we are actually creating a solvent weld. Stick a piece of pipe or a broken fitting in a small quantity of primer and let it set. You will melt the pvc. That's why primer is SO important. Just like flux and sandpaper for sweating copper, primer "etches" the pipe. If you "forget" the glue, the softened fitting may adhere to the softened pipe, but eventually, something has to give.
  4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Primer is pretty much purple died acetone as far as I know, so yeah, it will flat out disolve PVC if you dip it in it long enough :)

I actually use IPS AquaBlue 705 on 1 1/4" and smaller, which does not require primer unless local codes require it (which they don't).

I just clean the pipe, bevel it, and glue. The Aquablue is very hot, creating a a firm solvent weld in just a few seconds, unlike other glues that require primer.

On 1 1/2" and bigger, I use primer with IPS 721.