Refueling Tank

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Qdriver, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Qdriver

Qdriver LawnSite Member

How many out there have a refueling tank for equipment mounted on your rig? (Not just carrying gas cans)

If so why & where /how was it installed.

If not, Why not?

2. glenjr10

glenjr10 LawnSite Member

i am looking trying to locate one also, but have not been able to find one for Gasoline that is D.O.T. approved. they are everywhere for Diesel, but have not been able to find any for gasoline.

If anyone knows of where to get a fuel transfer tank that is D.O.T. approved, please post, or e-mail me at glenjr10@bellsouth.net

3. glenjr10

glenjr10 LawnSite Member

i am looking trying to locate one also, but have not been able to find one for Gasoline that is D.O.T. approved. they are everywhere for Diesel, but have not been able to find any for gasoline.

If anyone knows of where to get a fuel transfer tank that is D.O.T. approved, please post, or e-mail me at glenjr10@bellsouth.net

4. glenjr10

glenjr10 LawnSite Member

5. Qdriver

Qdriver LawnSite Member

Local:
    I looked under "tanks" in the YP and found a few who would build a steel one or sell a production unit made of D-plate for the back of pick-ups. 50gal around $550.

Out-of-state:

Just do a search on yahoo for "fuel+tank"

Problem is they all have inlet and outlet on top of the tank. I do not want one that stays with the truck, I want one that stays with the equipment. Also, I need one that fills fr the frt and outlet on the side (due to the space I will put it in)

Then, I figured the weight of tank ~50-100lbs+ fuel 50 gal ~325lbs & decided to look into poly tanks. (more weight less gas mileage) I am still doing research....

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I bought an auxiliary fuel tank that was made for a Chevy pickup. It was approved by DOT for gasoline. I then mounted it on top of my high side landscape trailer. I did not put a pump on it, as it is up high and I can use gravity to fuel my mowers. I have been told by a local bulk fuel dealer that DOT does not have any authority over tanks that hold less than 100 gal. My aux. tank on the trailer only holds 25 gal.
    I also have a 50 gal. fuel transfer tank on each of my pickups. I use a hand pump on each of these. I would not be at all concerned about DOT as long as the tank is under 100 gal. However, some state laws may be different.:)

7. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Qdriver,

Here is an aux. fuel tank. Click image for link.

[​IMG]

8. Qdriver

Qdriver LawnSite Member

Gopher, thanks,.. yea I have seen the ones that are made for the back of P/U's. What advantages do you feel the aux tank provides?

I am looking to have a 25-50g tank mounted on the front of the trailer itself w/ a 12v pump, 10' hose and a nozzle. I will build a large cage around it for security and other tools. I am looking for the least expensive and lightest weight set-up I can develop.

My theory is,. less time at the gas station everyday and not having to carry (as many) gas cans. (I just think that looks unsafe and unprofessional...I am sure I am the only one who feels that way....) This may only shave a small fraction of time off and save a penny or two each day. There are other reasons But, I just think it will be best for the long run.

I started this thread to see if anyone already had one and get advise on the whole idea...

9. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

here's mine mounted in the back of my 2nd truck, works out pretty good, sort of wish I would have got a bigger one. This is about 36 gal.

mvc-009s.jpg

10. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

side view

mvc-010s.jpg