1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Refuelling question

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by dh500, Jul 5, 2005.

1. dh500

dh500 LawnSite Member

Is there any sound basis for the suggestion that refueling lawn mowers (or other rubber tyred equipment) while on the back of a truck should be avoided?

The concern is that under dry conditions, the wind passing over the insulated piece of equipment could build up a static charge.

When filling metal jerry cans on the back of my pick up, I normally first touch the can with my hand, then with the bowser nozzle before opening the filler cap.

What is the situation with mowers with plastic fuel tanks? Are these made of some special conducting "anti-static" plastic?

Has anyone ever actually had any problems with static sparks at a fuel bowser?

2. greywynd

greywynd LawnSite Member

I understand that the concern is when there is a plastic box liner in the truck, sometimes you can have static electricity build up and discharge. I don't know if it's true or not, I know there's a warning sticker on the box liner in one of my trucks. I'm wondering if myth busters did something on this, I can't remember.
  3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Follow the directions at the gas station.

MOST gas stations require you to fill up containers on the ground in front of the pump, NOT in the bed of your pick-up.
  4. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

In that past 10 years there has been about 50 people burned alive that could tell youit is true. In fact no one even know what was going on at first. People would just be fueling there gas can and mowers and then the gas would catch fire. So there is no real way of knowing for sure how many fires have been caused by static electricity build up. There is one case on file where a woman got out of her car and put the gas hose in the tank and then got back in the car to write the check. She got out of the car and reached for the gas nozzle and she seen and felt the static electricity jump from her hand that cought her car on fire. The car seats and her clothes built up enough static electricity to set it off. .
  5. Mack77

Mack77 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

What if you just fill up your machine while its on an a metal trailer behind your truck? I see the static concern while in the truck, but how about if you fill up with the machine on a metal trailer behind your truck?
  6. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Follow The Directions On The Pump You Are Using.
  7. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Anti-static plastic cost too much and I do not thank they like gas too much any way. Put your hand on the tank or mower or gas can first to discharge any static electricity first BEFORE even removing the cap if static electricity is a concern just like you said. With more and more plastics being used in cars and gas being made more flammable (propane and acetylene gas is added to gasoline now days) I see a day coming when there will be grounding clamps at gas pumps just like the ones you find and the air ports. Better save than sorry. Getting blown up can ruin your whole day
  8. SellOut

SellOut LawnSite Member
    from Zone 8

ROFL! I agree.
  9. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

They did it with the cell phone discharging static electricity. I can't remember the out-come tho
  10. bigz1001

bigz1001 LawnSite Member

Couldn't get it to blow. Also, using panties couldn't get enough static electricity to cause an ignition when a gasolinbe mist was pumped into the chamber.