1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

refund deposit or not?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Sep 27, 2001.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

just a quick question on your policies. u and a customer agree on a price, draw up and sign plans for the job, get a deposit. u start the job and the customer then says price was too high, he wants u to do it cheaper or make cutbacks to get the price down. u dont agree either way, customer demands his deposit back, what do u do? thanks
  2. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Take out any expenses and your labor for the work that is done already, then give him back whats left of it.
  3. bobbygedd

from NJ

yes but my "normal" hourly rate is $42 an hour. my hourly rate for some cheapo jerking me around is much higher. i just get so mad when someone tries to stick me when im giving them a deal to begin with. thanx for your opinion.
  4. Take a hike and keep the money! That's why they call it a deposit when they sign a contract.

Or finish the job and collect the rest. He can not stop you with the contract.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

A deposit is also known as a RETAINER. If there are changes from the CUSTOMER, and they are not wanting to follow through with the work, let alone wanting to pay less for what is already done, then it is apparant that he is responsible for the costs. If there is X amount of materials already involved or invested in the project, then he is liable for the cost of these materials, including delivery and installation, and all other costs from am and beyond this point can be subsided. This can be deducted from the deposit, and the remainder (if there is any) is due. Therefore, chances are, NOTHING is due from the deposit. Contact an attorney, and he or she will probably tell you the same thing. :)
  6. Chopper Lover

Chopper Lover LawnSite Senior Member

The owner can stop you. It is still their property and they have ultimate say over who is there and what is done to it...

However, they are still responsible to pay for any portion of the contract you wish to collect. This could include full payment without completion of the work UNLESS there are terms in your contract which allows for cancellation. At that point it would depend on the wording of the contract.

I would probably just recoup my losses and walk. That is a decision for you to decide because this person could just be an PITA (pain in the a--) and you may wish to "educate" them on how contracts work and why they are needed.

Good Luck & let us know what you do.

7. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Revise the job and reprice on a friendly basis or if yoyu haven't done as much work as the deposit is worth, refund the difference and tell him thanks but no thanks.

Spend your p'off enrgy finding someone better.
  8. bobbygedd

from NJ

its getting a little rough right now. some work was done, and some plants were picked up. there is also the matter of drawing up the plans, initial consultation, repeat visit to discuss changes. i expect to be paid for each one of these items. also, if im to be paid for the plants already purchased, i expect extra for picking them up, and now caring for them while he was deciding to back out of our agreement. this will all add up considerably. and, now that i think of it, he was never issued a reciept for his deposit. unfortunately, we can not refund anything without a reciept. do u know anybody who would issue a refund without a reciept? screw him, im done. thanx for all the replies
  9. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Runner said it well, I would figure what they owe you to this point and if a balance is due bill them for the balance I would leave the plants that have been bought (billing them) and hit the road. NO way would I refund any money with all the work/money it looks like you have spent so far.