Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 7, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

well, our full service customers pay a bill that reflects cutting the first week in april-the last week of october. now we have snow. looks like their 2nd cut will not happen. do u refund in any way? our contracts do state, "not responsible for acts of god". i am though going to credit them or deduct it from the next bill. what will u guys do?
  2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Do you deduct in the summer due to heat?? If you do, than I would deduct now. Just put the shoe on the other foot though...if it was a wet, war, April, and you had to get in an extra cut would you add it on?? if so, how would the customer react??
  3. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I would say that snow be considered act of God, so no I would not credit them. What happens if it rains for a week and you can't cut? Do you them credit the customer for that weeks mowing? I would bill them according to your contract.
  4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

well, if it rains and we miss a cut, we dont deduct, do to excessive growth. but, the lawns here barely started to grow, so i dont think the missed cut will cause us problems.
  5. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

Our agreements say the same thing .... its not malk at my store that went sour because i kept the cooler to warm. Its an act of god. Keep the money.
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

And for those of you who do it by number of cuts, this is EASILY made up during the Spring if you can hustle and sneak an extra cut in there a few days later than another.
  7. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

Are you billing a flat monthly fee or annual amount? So much per month for x months?

If so, I would say no refunds / credits. I would assume that if you wind up doing an extra cut for some reason you don't bill extra if they are on contract.

This should cut both ways, so if you skip one, you are a little ahead, if you do an extra, you lose a little, should all work out in the course of time.

If you are billing for a set number of cuts, maybe you owe them a credit. If so, you might apply it at the end, maybe you will make it up on the tail end if the season goes longer.
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I think that it depends on the type of customers. I personally would do two things: either give them a credit or do some kind of small work here and there throughout the year that would make up for the cost. Like maybe offer soil tests, something like that. You still will make money and the customer won't be mad that they never received a mowing even though they paid for it.
  9. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Our customers get charged for "the season". Based off previous history and records kept, I know how many times we will mow per year. Occasionally it's less, sometimes more. They certainly don't offer to pay when it's more than anticipated. I accepted a few "as needed mowing" clients last year that were picked up halfway through the season. This year they will receive a contract with monthly payments for the seasons service. I will no longer do any as needed mowing's. It's a seasonal charge or find someone else. There are only so many days in the summer to make money and I will NOT waste them on a cheapskate that only wants an "on call" service. Also, whether there were late season snows or not, you have your equipment and staff on stand by to go out at first break of the weather, it's not your fault the season is starting late. I do believe your overhead is still there.

I'm sure you'll get some complainers though. If so, tell them you can take them off contract and put them at the back of the schedule and you will get to them when the premium customers are taken care of. Not that I would even do that, I'd drop them first, but at least maybe you'll get your point across.

LANDGUARD LawnSite Member

If there are to be any credits then they should be made at the end of the year. What if the winter does not come on time and they need work(mowing) a lot later this year. The beatufil thing is that you are the boss and you get to make the decision. Go get em Boss.