1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Refurbishing older trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by 93Chevy, Feb 24, 2010.

1. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

In a few weeks, I plan on refinishing my trailer. It's a 1999 tandem axle 16' x 7' that's a little beat up.

This is what I plan to do:
    1. Replace the decking.
    2. Replace the lighting and any wires and harnesses as necessary.
    3. Fix the expanded metal ramp.
    4. Strip and paint trailer and wheels.
    5. Add womanized 1x8's about 3' high from the deck so I can haul mulch, debris, etc.

Where I'm at skill-wise: I worked for a carpenter for 2 years, and while I don't claim to be an expert, I can handle painting to perfection, electrical, wood working, and minor metal repairs.

Basically, I'm wondering if anybody has any advice for having this beat up trailer come out nice. I know it still won't be perfect because it's been beat up by employees of a local LCO, but if it can last me a while, I'll be happy. I'll appreciate any suggestions as far as what to do first, what tools will help me, etc. Thank you :waving:

2. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

I'd also mover those trimmer racks to the curb side of the trailer
  3. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Oh, the racks and the cage are at the scrap yard. They no longer exist. I'll be getting nice new ones this year. I was considering placing the new racks at the front of the trailer to leave both sides fully open.
  4. corbster

corbster LawnSite Fanatic
    from OHIO

Tim ...while you have it trailer naked (lights off ect.) have it sandblasted or blast it yourself ...will save a ton of work hours.
  5. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

That can get expensive, can't it? I'm trying to keep it all under $300, before new racks are added.
  6. rcslawncare

rcslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Take lots of pictures and keep us updated. Would like to see the process in action!
  7. mowisme

mowisme LawnSite Senior Member

take extra time to remove and treat any rust on the base and inboard sides of the angle iron frame surrounding the bed. the boards trap the water/crud there and in time rots the metal. POR-15 ( no top coat needed) just the inboard sides of frame as mentioned and the axles/springs ( 1-quart by brush) before putting new wood down is what I'd do. I'd also double treat the ends of the boards with water sealant before installing. have fun
  8. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

That's good advice. Thank you, I'll be sure to use that trick before I paint.
  9. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Looked to me like the trimmer racks weren't in that bad of shape. I woulda kept them for parts if nothing else. Anyways have fun with it and keep us posted.
  10. petroskie

petroskie LawnSite Senior Member

go to a parts store an pickup some of the paint stripper in the spray paint section, it sprays on just like spray pait and it will eat all the paint and gunk, strip it down to bare metal, fairly cheap and repaint with the truck bed coating in the aresol can, thats what i did when i redid my trailer for our quads and the stuff is bullet proof if you follow the DIRECTIONS, ani slip and looks good