Refurbishing older trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by 93Chevy, Feb 24, 2010.

1. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

Those C channels where the wood fits between at the top and bottom of the trailer are usually the worst, as water will sit in either end and will destroy the frame and wood. Might be good to drill some small 1/8" holes along the bottom at the back end? Oh and I had a hell of a time getting that last board in there! We used a 2x4 to bend the board, but it still took us a couple hours, Now I would just cut the flat metal piece that is welded in after the boards go in, then weld it back.

2. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD LawnSite Fanatic

mikekle gave me an idea tim, before you put the new planks down coat the top of the rails with fluid film:cool2:

3. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

Lol that happens to me everyday if I am not working I am spending! If had had a place I would offer to come down here but our garage currently has my dads truck and moms car. The place where I got my trailer stored would work but there is no lights/power:cry:

4. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

That's a good idea. I'll keep that in mind whenever I replace the decking.

Thanks for throwing that out there. I'm sure I can find a spot, I just don't really want to move it when it's got wet paint.

5. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Here's stage 1, completed as of 5:30 PM. It's not perfect, but the trailer is 10 years old. It was in pretty bad shape before, as you can see. Can't wait to get the final coats on in the next few days.

Trailer1-1.JPG

Trailer2-1.JPG

Trailer10-1.JPG

Trailer13-1.JPG

Trailer15-1.JPG

6. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD LawnSite Fanatic

7. petroskie

petroskie LawnSite Senior Member

trailer looks great, maybe its the pic but the front axle looks a little bent, may wanna double check that just to be safe. keep the pics comming

8. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

looking good so far, not sure what kinda axles his has but some are made like that to take the wieght I know mine on my dump trailer is

9. petroskie

petroskie LawnSite Senior Member

o ok, i have never seen that but ya learn sumthing new everyday. miine are straight, i checked when i got it.

10. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD LawnSite Fanatic

i don't know much about trailes but every double axle one i've ever seen had bent axle tubes. even the new ones at the tractor supply store are bent