Refurbishing older trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by 93Chevy, Feb 24, 2010.

1. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

God, those pics bring back nightmares for me when I did all that to a trailer, I swear I had that nasty rust/metal taste in my mouth for a week after! I see you choose red, You may not like that color in time? I too thought a red trailer would e cool, but ended up hating it a week later, but not sure why? Looks like you did a good job though.

2. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

you know what you should lay the boards and stain them with some kind of heavy duty fence stain ive always wondered how that would look or hold up

3. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

that almost just looks like a rusty metal primer not the actual paint

4. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, they're supposed to be bent to handle the weight better.

Yeah, that's why they're bent.

It's just the primer in that pic. It'll be gloss black when it's all said and done.

That's because it is rusty metal primer. Good eye. It'll be black before the week's out if I can only get the time in to paint it between work.

5. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

Yep same way I painted my dump trailer. I am not getting nothing done this week due to jury duty... ugghh

6. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Oh, that sucks man. I don't think I'd mind actually sitting on a jury, but that would be a terrible waste of time.

Hopefully I'll be able to get a coat of black on tomorrow, or at least most of it. I'll only have a couple hours in the morning before I have to be at work.

7. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

I know man, I'm finding red paint dust everywhere I turn. All over my clothers, boots, face, ears...I even wore a mask and I can still taste it. Terrible. I'm NEVER doing this again unless somebody pays me a lot for it...I would have enjoyed it more had I gotten paid, but I will have a huge sense of satisfaction when I'm all said and done.

8. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

LOL. You wanted to save the coin my friend.

At my full time job thats why we rotate trailers into winter work, after a few years the salt's get to them and we sell them. At that time they are just about wore out, but will run a few more years, and update. Right now its the skid loader trailer. We do this with all the trailers except the 32ft'er, its expensive plus its a pain to pull in the winter.

It looks good. But if you didn't like the taste you should have just sand blasted it. I found a guy that is blasting my flat bed for 150 includeing primer, as long as I supply the primer and remove the boards. 150 includes the frame rails, topside and underside of the bed (need new clamps) and tool box.

9. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, you're right, it would have been easier to have had it sandblasted and I wouldn't have burned out my angle grinder. Lesson learned. :laugh:

10. rcslawncare

rcslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Looking real good! Every time you see if it will be worth it, especially behind your truck!!!