1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Refusing to bag?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by allstar, Jan 22, 2004.

1. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

Do any of you just refuse to bag customer's lawns?I'm not talking about right now when alot of people are still doing leaf removal and/or cleanups but rather later on when the growing season really gets started.
    I am beginning my first full season in this business and right now have 3 mowers;JD LT150,JD GX325 and Exmark Lazer Z w/Ultravac which I'm using right now for leaves and cleanups.My JDs have mulch kits.
    I'm sure that occassionally misinformed customers will ask me to bag their lawns so I'm thinking about leaving the Ultravac on.However,if large properties come my way I would prefer to use the Exmark with a mulch kit.So I'm considering just telling the customers that I feel bagging is unnecessary and I don't do it,at least for now or until I can afford another large mower.What would you guys do?Thanks. Jim

2. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

Refusing to bag?

Yes, in the past I have refused to bag the clippings. Once I found out about mulching that is the only way I go. I tell them if they just have to have it bagged, there are others who will bag it I don't. I also explain to them that mulching will look as if the clippings have been bagged.

I also try to educate them on the benefits of leaving the clippings on the lawn. Just my thoughts Tony

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I'll bag, but it ain't cheap btw...and I will only bag if I can leave the clippings on their property.

4. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I will not bag for anyone. Several have asked for it. None have gotten it.

Won't do it at any price.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

5. BRIAN GALLO

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

I just tell new people that I am unable to bag the grass, but you will not know the difference in appearance, and I will make sure of that. Most people are ok with it after that, but you will always have a few that won't want to hear it - I don't take those. Bagging a small lawn with a lawnboy isn't that bad, but when I first started out I bagged a few with a 48" walk behind. Never again! Had to empty the heavy catcher every 3 passes, lawns took 3x as long to finish and didn't look any different than making 2 passes - which is way easier and faster.

6. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

This can be a different issue regionaly.

We don't bag yet. We are running exMarks with mulchers, but Id like to get a different warm season turf grass mower.

Down here these aggressive creeping grasses lend themselves to a much greater thatch issue than the fescue grasses. A thatch "issue" can invite disease and insects. With the climate down here, these grasses grow fast and clippings, even though mulched, can accumilate if they don't decompose faster than the grass is growing. And these coarse runner grasses tend to decompose slower than the moisture full, tender leaved fescues of the North.

Once a week and the 1/3 rule will help any mulching system do it's job better.

There is also the organic benefits that go with mulching as the mulched plant leaves decompose.

7. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

++++Once a week and the 1/3 rule will help any mulching system do it's job better.++++

You can't mow bermuda once a week and stay within the 1/3 of grass blade rule. It's impossible if the bermuda has proper water, sunlight and nutrients.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

8. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

I did not state that you could or could not.

I've never taken a tape measure out, but I would say industry standard: 1/3 -or- once a week is about the best your gonna get a typical residential homeowner to agree to with a bermuda lawn. Ya, I know once every three days with a 'reel' cutter is optimal according to most universities, blah*blah.

Why be difficult on a point like that? Try to stay on top of the grass length and lessen the amount of clippings, thats the point.

9. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Rod, Don't you have anywhere to dispose of them at a reasonable price? I couldn't imagine leaving the clippings at my clients' reidences for them to put out for municipal collection. We bag " as mneede" or upon request and just add it into the bid price.

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I bag their lawns if they ask for it.

Grasscycling is much better though and I explain that to them, but if they still want bagging then I do it