Reg./High Lift Blades With A Mulching Kit

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Daner, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

I,m not too Impressed with the mulching kit that I Put on the 72" ZEEEETurn. I'm Thinking of keeping the baffles in there and running my ole faithful standard blades.
    My whole beef with the side discharge was the blowing of all the clippings in to the flower beds...Maybe i should have just installed a chute block plate...But at this stage of the game I,m going to take off the mulching blades and install the high lifts or the reg lift blades
    What do you guys think about this approach??
    Thanks in advance for any input:waving:
    Daner

2. Lumberjack

Lumberjack LawnSite Member

On my mower the high lifts tended to cause the drive belt to pop off....took a bit to figure that one out.... :cry:

3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I would just try the standard blades. Many LCO's around here have the same problem but they can't seem to figure out a good/perminint solution to the problem.

Many have traded the kubbotas in for an exmark or toro or other brand with a diesel engine on it as they hate the way the kubotas cut.
    Good luck and keep us posted on the effects!

4. Daner

It seemed to cut ok and fast without the mulching kit....But it seems like it just wont lift the grass up straight to cut it clean...not just strips are left behind ...but the grass can be bent over laying flat on the ground...from a tire and wont cut it.
    I will shure keep yaas posted. Thanks
    Daner

5. Daner

So you ran the high lifts with the full mulching deck??

6. GreenNation

GreenNation LawnSite Member

I have found for the otptimal performance on our Scag 48'' Tiger Cub 19Kaw is this: We run the commercial mulching blades with the serrated upturned teeth on the back of the blades. We removed all of the baffle crap as this was way to many angles for the grass getting trapped under the deck. We can mulch or side discharge with these blades. The quality of the cut if great, and if we mulch we bolt on just the mulch plate on the discharge chute, (we added aftermarket quick release pins), and if we want to side disharge we just remove the mulching plate. The Hurrican Mulch Kit that Scag sales is a lot of under the deck hardware that we have found is really not necessary to produce a quality cut.

7. Daner

Well I just got off the landline with the owner of the Kuboto dealership...He was a bit concerned when he herd that I wanted to sell this machine back to them and buy an Exmark from another dealership.
    He wants a crack at sending one his guys down here to my shop to make this machine cut as good or better than a exmark...This should be interesting...he also says at no costs to me what so ever.
    I also have a call into the exmark dealer up here and he is working on a price for me .If I do get a new one I wont get the 72" deck...I found that it was a bit too big...60 or 66" Imoo is the ideal size
    does anyone out there mulch with a exmark??...I would hate to run ito the same problem all over again
    Plain and simple...I need a top notch mower that cuts mulches and stripes clean.
    Thanks for letting me vent
    Daner:) IZE]

8. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

This year I just switched to mulch kits on my Gravely machines and am fully satisfied except for cut quality issues and lack of lift in grass that is weak and flimsy. I'm currently weighing my options and will probably start demoing a few different brands and maybe look at buying a different Z if other brands mulch with the cut quality I'm looking for.

9. TrpD345

TrpD345 LawnSite Member

Green Nation has got me to thinking. I bought the JD mulch kit for my 737 and it cuts great, but sometimes I wish I could side discharge. I have looked at all the extra baffle stuff under the deck for the mulch kit and I really don't see where it could make a ton of difference. Why not use a Qwick-Chute with Gator blades? I could mulch if needed or discharge. Lets face it, everyone that is going to mulch kits is mainly doing so just to control discharge. I know someone has tried this, how does it work?