1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Regarding equipment servicing-does your dealer offer that?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hummingbird3d, Mar 18, 2009.

1. hummingbird3d

hummingbird3d LawnSite Member

I'm closing on a couple of dealers who I may get my lawn mower, trimmer, hedge trimmer and blower. With luck he'll cut me a good package deal, however, when I asked him if they service the equipment that they would sell me, he said that I would bring that up with the manufacturer. WTF, I thought and commented, doesn't this purchase work like if I bought a car from a dealer and this same dealer services this car if/when something goes wrong?? He said no, I go to the manufacturer.

I told this to guy who used to do lawn care services and then as a sales rep for many manufacturers of the the equipment and he said that the sales guy must have misunderstood my question.

If he didn't, then I might have to go to the more expensive guy.:dizzy:
  2. Pietro

Pietro LawnSite Senior Member

Screw them. Get a different dealer. I buy all my stuff from 1 place. They service it all. They take care of me too since Im a loyal customer. If a crucial machine goes down, were usually 1st on the list. If theyre THAt backed up we get a demo machine in its place or a "loaner" of equal caliber.....and our machine is still fixed asap. Its simple. They take care of us, and we give them all of our business.
  3. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

A licensed sales rep is selling you a possible package deal on lawn equipment. They had to think or get back with you regarding a phone contact with the supplier.?????
    Sounds to me like you need to search for a legal, licnesed, reputable dealer.
    All of our dealers here sell and service all their brands. Hell, the manufacturer's rely on their services to make them money.
    My 2 cents..................RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN!!!???!?!?!?!
  4. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

If that dealer doesn't service the equipment I wouldn't even think about buying from him, unless you do ALL your own repairs. And going to the manufacturer will get you no where, all they will tell you is where the next closest dealer is.
  5. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Surely he misunderstood you. Yes, a dealer is should service the equipment that they sell. Heck, they make more money servicing equipment than they do selling it.
  6. hummingbird3d

hummingbird3d LawnSite Member

I called the dealer back and some others in the area and the replies were, we can help with questions on the equipment, but servicing would be through the manufacturer. This seems almost as bad as Home Depot, but more expensive.

So just what kind of service is available from the shops that you get your equipment from? I'm starting to believe that I'm asking too much from these dealers since no one services the equipment that they sell:hammerhead:

Maybe this idea of servicing equipment sold to customers is an outdated concept, like putting air in tires and cleaning windshields on a car during a gas fill up...
  7. Proc's Lawncare

Proc's Lawncare LawnSite Member

Uhm NO, you SHOULD expect your dealer to service what they sell, I am shocked that they wouldn't... Like everyone else here has said, they make there main stay monies on repairing the machines and so forth.... If this was the "new norm" we would all be buying Home depot crap and just sell off our crap on ebay and buy new crap from home depot every 3 months or what ever....

The dealer can and should service what they sell, if NOT then they are not a true licensed dealer for that product line and i would be VERY cautious about dealing with them.
  8. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

Tell us what brands of equipment are you trying to purchase. Seems to me that you are trying to get an offer from off brand products.
    I know that Lowe's--Home Depot--Sam's Club sells lawn equipment and will often tell customers that if problems arise to contact a local service provider but you will not get passed the switchboard operator on a manufacturer level. I can't call Exmark Corporation office and talk to anyone about repairs. They will direct you to the nearest reputable dealer. IF it is about warranty issues--they may talk to you!
  9. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Would the dealer your talking to happen to be Walmart? :laugh::laugh::laugh:
  10. Danscapes

Danscapes LawnSite Senior Member

My dealer services ANYTHING that a commercial operator brings in, and will only service the brands that he sells for homeowners.