Regarding the infill material

Discussion in 'All Pro Putting Greens' started by JimLewis, Jan 9, 2006.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Copper slag or coal slag? This stuff looks very dirty. I have a customer who wants me to install a synthetic turf into her back yard because it's too shady for real turf to grow well there. It will function as part of a kid's playground. But I am concerned that if I install your product using the infill you recommend that her kids are going to end up with black "coal slag" residue all over their hands, knees, arms, etc. Is this stuff dirty at all? Or will kids be able to play on it and stay clean?

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

As far as I knew your supposed to use sand

3. JimLewis

4. LOL...LOL....LOL......Sorry to hijack your thread Jim, but I get a kick out of some of her responses...

If you aren't putting on that surface..and just for play area..my guess is that you will use much less infill than you would for a putting green, meaning that the infill won't be as close to the surface...so maybe it doesn't matter if the slag is dirty? I believe the slag is washed though...but I can't be sure, so I offer this disclaimer:

I don't really know, I'm just voicing an OPINION....I like to let others know when I'm not sure what I'm talking about...others should consider doing the same.

5. Did this ever get answered in a PM Jim?

6. JimLewis

Nope. I figured the rep. from AllPro read threads in this forum and would respond here in this thread. Maybe I am mistaken. Maybe this is just a forum for landscapers to chat. Anyway, no, I am still waiting.

But I did talk to a friend of mine who has a lot of experience working with metals, sandblasting, etc. And I was asking him about this "slag" stuff. I didn't know what slag was. But it turns out that slag is the bi-product of when you are melting metals. Like if you've ever done soldering or seen someone working with gold or something. There's always this [usually black] residue that builds up on the side. That's slag! After you are done working with the metal, you just break off the slag. It's a by-product of metal working. Anyway, my friend said slag is not messy, like it looks. He said it's more like small crushed stone. So he said it should be fine for kids to play on, etc.

The good thing is that the suppliers here sell Nickel Slag, as opposed to coal slag or copper slag. So the nice thing about nickel slag is that it is green, which is just perfect for golf greens. Not that you really see the slag once it's brushed in anyway. But it's nice to know that it's green. That's even better.

7. Good luck w/ this Jim...are you going to use Allpro or have you found someone else? I was also looking into this, but the industry is a giant circle jerk it seems....nobody tells you anything w/ out getting paid first...Allpro doesn't appear to be this way....but the others are.

Let me know would ya?
    ty

8. allprogreens

allprogreens LawnSite Senior Member

Good Question.

The slag product produces very little dust when you are sweeping it into the green. It is a sand blasting product and I'm sure when being used for blasting purposes it creates alot of dust but not for the purpose of infilling a green. We have sold many Lawn Turf installations to day care center for children and have not had the first call about "residue" on any child or thier clothing

Chris

[​IMG]

9. allprogreens

Jim, your exactly right

A sand blasting sand should not be used in a synthetic green installation. The sand when it get wet, over time, will pack down and harden the putting green surface. The slag is a sand blasting product but is not a sand. The slag sheads water and won't pack down over time. We have tested many, many product and the one with the best characteristics to provide a lon term cushion feel is the slag

Chris

[​IMG]

10. allprogreens

The nickel slag can be used as well
    I have seen coal slag that was black, auburn, green, and grey.
    Once it has rained on the green one time then you shouldn't see the infill so color doesn't really matter. but your right, the green does look good.
    If you look at photos in our now expanded 600 picture photo gallary, you won't see the infill in any photos.
    Make sure you use a 30/60 which is the grit or mesh size of the infill

Chris

[​IMG]