regional questions regarding leaf drop and drought?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Groomer, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

Iv'e noticed alot of statements about leaves hanging on this year, due to drought and other weather patterns, especially in hard hit areas like the midwest and east. Anyone really check into this any deeper? I'm still waiting for the major leaf drop here in SW Ohio, and I would of thought just the opposite due to the long, dry, summer.
  2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I read in the paper that a biologist (I think) said due to the late freeze we had this spring and the Summer drought we should expect trees to hang on to leaves longer this Autumn to store up as much food/energy as possible to make it through the Winter. Most trees in the South East have been under a lot of stress this year and they are doing what Mother Nature does, trying to survive. The oaks and hickory's last year would scare you when a large nut would hit the ground they were so big, this year nothing. They are definately stressed and trying to survive, trying to keep their energy by staying green longer and not producing any acorns, nuts.
  3. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

I was just thinking the same thing today....Man all the leaves are still on the trees. I am not mad, make leaf clean up a slow and easy process for us. And speaking of acorn nuts, man I have a tree that rain them down on one of my lawns. Killed my blades.
  4. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

Finally getting a big drop up here in east central indiana with more to come in next week to 10 days I am expecting and i may be wrong but i am guessing trees will be about bare in 2 weeks except a few hard maples . Iam also seeing some trees dropping green leaves which has been rare in last few years
  5. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

interesting stuff!
  6. TurfCo  LLC

TurfCo LLC LawnSite Member

The leaves have been hanging on in southern Ketucky. We finally got a hard frost this past Sunday and Monday, and everything is finally starting to get underway. Within 10-12 days, everything will be close to bare, and we'll all be up to our eyeballs in leaves.
  7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Leaves are definitely hanging on for dear life here in Atlanta. I'm usually almost done with leaf cleanup by Thanksgiving. It'll be sometime into December this year. Worst drought in history, so not surprised.
  8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Most of the leaves are still green and on the trees here in East Carolina. The leaves don't get a lot of color here anyway but they're still hanging on. The pine needle drop was a slow, torturious process this year too. Usually they'll kinda start falling off around the middle of September and finish up around the third week of October. This year they started in August and just had their last big drop about a week ago. What a mess.
  9. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

I will say one thing, the slow leaf drop has will take us to the end of the year for sure. We have been so busy this fall though, I am really not looking for any one time leaf clean up jobs. To much work and not enough $$$$$. I will post some of what we have been busy doing in another thread later tonight.....