Register Company Name

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by BrianK10, Nov 11, 2003.

1. BrianK10

BrianK10 LawnSite Senior Member
    from usa

Hey Guys.

I'm new, and I'd just like to say I've learned so much in the past 2 days that I've been scanning through all of these Threads. I'd just like to say hello! :)

My question is : Where would I go to Research or Find out what Company names are already taken and being used here in Maryland? I plan to become INC. by the start of the season. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Brian

2. lost mountain

lost mountain LawnSite Member

Welcome BrianK10!

Search the corporations database @ the Maryland Secretary of State website. Never been there, but a fine state like Maryland must have one! :)

Mark

3. GreatBigTuna

GreatBigTuna LawnSite Member

Brian,

Here is a link to the Maryland Department of Assessments and Taxation. This is the agency with whom you will file your charter to leagally operate in Maryland. They have a search feature that will allow you do check your name against all businesses legally operating in maryland (except for sole-proprietors not under a d.b.a.) Also, this is where you will apply for your tax id and reseller license (if you are going to provide goods). Hope it helps, it should be a good starting point.

MD Dept. of Assessments and Taxation

4. BrianK10

from usa

Tuna, Thanks Alot for the link. You still cutting down there? I'm pretty much done mowing for the season. Just waiting for that big snow we're supposed to get. :)

Brian

5. GreatBigTuna

GreatBigTuna LawnSite Member

Brian,

Actually, next year will be my first in the landscaping business. However, like you, I too am praying for another big storm like last winter so I can pay off my new truck :D

What area of Baltimore do you work in? Are you doing fall cleanups? I'll be primarily focusing on my marketing efforts this winter. It looks like I will have a handful of nice commercial maintenance contracts ready to go, but I want to line up some residentials as well to keep the crew I'm hiring busy full time. That and equipment shopping should keep me pretty well occupied over the winter. Wish me luck!

6. BrianK10

from usa

I'm working on the east side of Baltimore County. I live in Perry Hall, and most of my work comes from surrounding areas (PerryHall, WhiteMarsh, Parkville, and Kingsville).

I'm loaded with Fall Clean-Ups. I've stopped cutting for about 2 weeks now. My last cut for the season will come the weekend before Thanksgiving so all the yards will look nice. Hope work stays good for you! And one final thought.....

Let it snow Let it snow! :)

Brian