1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Register my company's name

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by GreenthumbGA, Feb 29, 2008.

1. GreenthumbGA

GreenthumbGA LawnSite Member

Hey everybody,
    This year I am looking at registering my name. I've done a bit of research on it but don't really have time to delve deeper. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about doing this?
  2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

well are you looking to make yourself an LLC? or just a DBA?
  3. GreenthumbGA

DBA for now, but LLC is in the future. Sorry, should have been more clear. Info on both would be good.
  4. Greenery

Greenery LawnSite Senior Member

I would start by going to your seceratary of state website and you should be able to find some info there. Also do a search on this site and you should get lots of info.
  5. lawnbandit

lawnbandit LawnSite Member

how would you do llc thanks
  6. slowleak1

slowleak1 LawnSite Senior Member

i went to my sec. of state's site, and it had nothing. what am i looking for? maybee this will help out the op
  7. Greenery

Greenery LawnSite Senior Member

8. kjslawn

kjslawn LawnSite Senior Member

I got sec of state # and called them and they walked me through it.
  9. GreenthumbGA

Hey, thanks everybody. You've all been helpful. Umm LLC, well I'm not sure about how to do it but I do know that for small businesses it is a good thing to be. Limited Liability Corporation.

Thanks again all of you.
  10. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

An LLC is not a bad idea. If you are a sole proprietor there are certain advantages, but you are liable personally for anything that goes wrong. Some people feel that sifficient insurance when operating as a DBA is the way to go - I'm not saying it isn't. A Limited Liability Company offers greater protection in the long run. Just really depends on your personal feelings and your willingness for risk. I have set up different LLC's in the past and although a little costly, they handled everything for me - I think the company was MyCorp that I used.