Registered Backflow Tester

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by NC_Irrigator, Oct 17, 2003.

1. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Just curious if anyone on here is a licensed tester besides me. I use a Mid-West 830 & A Watts TK-99D

My hometown <wilson> has a program that sends out letters to homeowners & businesses / fire systems yearly.

I usually do one or two a day.

2. MOlawnman

MOlawnman LawnSite Member

Received my certification three years ago.

Best week of schooling I ever invested in. Within three months, I had financed my school cost and the cost of the test kit.

Our local water purveyors also send out letters with a list of certified testers at the bottom.

It has been very lucrative for me. I figured why should I pay someone else to certify the device I just installed when I could take home the profit for 90 seconds of testing!

Just a note- in Missouri, RP's and Double checks are the only approved devices for irrigaiton systems.

3. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

I have been thinking of adding this service for a while now. What are the requirements and where do I go for certification in NC?

4. NC_Irrigator

from NC

I cant agree more. Best investment yet for being in the irrigation business. I no longer have to pay big bucks to have someone else set my backflows and test them. Wilson requires RP's on new installs i like the 975xl's and the 825Y's both good products and easy to service. Most old systems here have DC's. I subscribe to Drinking Water and Backflow Prevention Magazine. Very informative on repairs and backflow products etc.

5. MOlawnman

Koster...

Could you give me the info on that magazine.

Steve

6. NC_Irrigator

from NC

7. MOlawnman

Thanks for the link

8. NC_Irrigator

from NC

Our city changed this program for residential irrigation devices to be tested every other year not every year

9. Flatbed

Flatbed LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

We are required to use RPZ here. I've been Backflow Certified four years. What do most of you charge for a backflow test? Around here it varies from $50-85. Most cities around here send out letters to have them tested.

10. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I saw a plumbing van today that had backflow testing painted on the truck...

I called them and asked how much to test my backflow.... $125

I don't know for sure in MI, but I think you have to be a journeyman plumber or something to test backflows... bummer