Registering a trailer below the mfg's GVWR

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Electra_Glide, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Electra_Glide

Electra_Glide LawnSite Member

While looking for a dump truck, I came across a guy selling a truck and trailer combo for a reasonable price. The trailer is a 9-ton deck-over equipment trailer. Since I don't yet have my Class A CDL (passed my physical today, and hopefully start training next week), is there any way I can register this trailer at 9990 GVWR and still be legal with the DOT until I can get through with my CDL training? In other words, does the DOT base things on the manufacturer's weight ratings or the registered weight.

While I hate to pass this up, I'd also hate to spend money on something I won't be able to use immediately when there's work to be done.

I think the answer is that they go by the mfg. weight ratings, but I figured it can't hurt to ask.

Thanks in advance...

Joe

2. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I don't know about your state, but in CT pre-registration inspections have been cut to almost nothing. Most times the stressed out employees at the DMV offices don't really care what you put down on the papers. So you CAN pretty much register it anyway you want, BUT, if you get pulled over by the DOT, they will nail your rear-end, because THAT'S when you will get inspected. Especially in CT when they do those damned roadside "safety inspections" (meaning; getting more money from fines).

If it is a really good buy, if you can swing it, buy it and have it parked until you can legally use it.

3. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I was told by a DOT inspecter that if they pull you over they will go by the manufactures weight ratings. What you registerd it at means nothing to them.

4. wallzwallz

wallzwallz LawnSite Senior Member

When I bought a dump trailer, I was looking at a 12' and a 14', the gvw went from 9990 to 14,000 and I didn't want to register over 10K either. The trailer dealer told me for $25 they could recertify it under 10K all legally. Your problem would be, what is the trailer weight empty? Would it leave you any payload weight?

5. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

This goes state by state... In NC if I have a 10k trailer and register it as a 9k trailer, then its a 9k trailer. If its a 10k plus 1 lb then its a different story,, needs a state inspection plus a fed sticker on it, plus you better have a cdl if yur pulling it.

6. Electra_Glide

That's what I thought. Thanks...

Joe

7. Electra_Glide

Michael,

I have talked to dealers who have told be this as well. It involves them putting on a different manufacturer's tag with the lower GVW rating.

I can't do that since the trailer I'm looking at is being sold by a third party, and not straight from a dealer. Although I guess that begs another question. What happens when you buy a used trailer that has no manufacturer's tag?

Based on looking at similar trailers, the empty weight is probably between 4000-4500lbs., so it wouldn't leave all that much even if you could legally register it at 10000lbs.

Joe

8. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Just from what I've heard (about as accurate as getting info off the internet!), DOT inspectors can also go by the TIRE rating if there is no tag or mfg plate on the trailer. If you pull up with a three axle trailer with tires that are each rated for 3,000lbs (just as a blatant example...), the inspectors will laugh at you if the trailer is "rated" for 1,500lbs.

9. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

That may work if you get pulled over by the locals, but the DOT is federal , same rules for the entire country. They go by the manufacturers weight rating .

10. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Funny you should say this. When I registered my trailer last year, I made a mistake in the column where you writer the weight. I messed up, and wrote the correct weight over it. It was pretty hard to read, and the inspetor didnt even ask me to re-write it, correct it, or even asked what it said. In fact, he asked no questions, except how much I owed him. Odd, even being younger, I was expecting a whole shpeel...