Registering Business in TN

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by topchoice, Jan 23, 2007.

1. topchoice

topchoice LawnSite Member

For those who are in TN, just wondering what you have to do to be considered "qualified" as a business? I was just going to register as an LLC but is there anything else I have to do. I have been trying to do some research, but the government mumble jumble confuses me! I guess I don't know where to start or what to do and have tried calling a few people but have always been told to call this person than that person and have never gotten an answer- I'm tired of calling. If you can help I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks! (I live in Nashville)

2. bigcountry01

bigcountry01 LawnSite Member

i live in knoxville and im an LLC. get on the state web page if u havent already done so. that is how i did it. you can always go to your local courthouse and talk to them so they can explain it in normal english. good luck

3. 2menandamower

2menandamower LawnSite Member

Hey Bigcountry where in Knoxville are you? Give me a call sometime 385-5400. Would like to meet other LCO's in the area.

As for the original question, I went to the local courthouse and got my business license. I am meeting with an attorney tomorrow to make sure everything I am doing is legit.... Feel free to call me or email me anytime. Cell is 865-385-5400 and email is 2menandamower@comcast.net Good Luck to you.

4. justin1431

justin1431 LawnSite Member

hey top choice,
    I just formed an LLC this past summer. First thing you need to do is go on www.state.tn.us/ and click on the business tab and search your company name. you wouldn't believe what i went thru to find a name that wasnt already taken. then you need to find an attourny that specializes in that because if youre not protected then whats the point of paying to be an LLC. It cost $300 per fiscal year for the LLC. You'll have to decide when to start your fiscal year. I chose January just to make things more simple. Then you'll have to go to the county courthouse and get a $20 biz license under the LLC. Then youre good to go. Good Luck!!!

5. Novaowner

Novaowner LawnSite Member

I went down to the county clerks office and got a business license as a sole proprietor for now. I will look into an LLC if this business works out later. I got a million dollar liablility insurance policy to cover me for hopefully any liability issues that may arise. Good luck.

6. yazooguy123

yazooguy123 LawnSite Member

Hey man I just formed my LLC in Nashville last week. The first thing I did was file with the state. Luckily my name was not taken. Then you need to obtain a Federal Tax ID number from the IRS. Then I went and got Liability Insurance for the business. You dont have to file for a business license until 20 days after your business start date which does not have to be the same day you file with the state. Where do you live in TN.

7. topchoice

topchoice LawnSite Member

Thank you to all for the information, it is greatly appreciated. I was thinking about doing pretty much the same thing as most of you said. Get the LLC taken care of, then file for a business license, the federal tax number. It all just seems so complicated when you are researching it on the web. Yazoo guy, I live in Brentwood-Nolensville area, most of my business is in Brentwood and Franklin area and I go as far as Murfreesboro-Smyrna.