Registering Business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by devnuts, Feb 4, 2008.

1. devnuts

devnuts LawnSite Member
    from CT

I know it varies from state to state, but how do you go about registering your business? I have been doing some landscaping here and there and want to actually create a business-pay taxes, get insurance, and become legit. Also, how are most of you smaller guys set up???....sole proprietor, LLCs, etc. Any input would be great....
  2. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

You are right, you need to check your state rules regarding making your business legit and ready to operate. To do that, you have to decide what business structure you want and what is the most practical for you. If you will be a single owner/op working a few accounts per season, it may be a good idea to go the simplest route as a sole prop to start out with. That is my status now, in 2nd year. Since my business has my full name included, don't need to register a business name or anything like that. Insurance will be in your own name, and taxes will be under your SSN. This way, you can consider forming an LLC down the line if your business grows and your requirements for asset protection increase. Why spent a ton in legal fees right away when all you want to be is legit, educated, and ready to roll when the season starts?
  3. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

You can still get your EIN being a sole prop, this way you can set up business checking and you don't have to use your ss# for business related things

OUTLANDER LawnSite Senior Member

is getting your EIN the only method of getting bussiness account rolling?.............and how do you get it?
  5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

outlander - call the financial institution of your choice and ask them what is required to open a business account.