1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Registering Company Name?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by CrewCut, Feb 5, 2001.

1. CrewCut

CrewCut LawnSite Member

I was wondering if anyone has tips on registering the company name with the state?

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I registered mine last year. The cost was $15. They do a search to make sure that no one already has that name.

3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

When we filed for a dba 5 yrs ago at the county clerks office. They had a ledger and you could check to see if your company's name was already in use or not.

Hope this helps.
    Kris

4. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

I had to pay $15 to register my name, plus $60 to run a little ad in the paper for 3-weeks.

-Tim

5. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

In WI they check the whole state when you register - I had to change my name because a co 50 miles away was too similar. But the benefit is, nobody can get a name very similar to mine.

Could prevent people from riding your coattails.

Trademarking your name is considerably more expensive, but gives you more protection. I haven't done this. You'll be writing a 4-fig check for that.

6. Pauls Mowing

Pauls Mowing LawnSite Member

Ten bucks here, we're in the city limits, paid to the city. No state regulations yet.

Paul

7. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

In Texas:
    <p><b>Sole Proprietorship</b>, and <b>General Partnership</b>; an Assumed Name Certificate must be filed with the county clerk.<p><b>Limited Partnership</b>,<b> Registered Limited Liability Partnership</b>, <b>Corporation</b>, and <b>Limited Liability Company</b> must be registered with the Secretary of State.

8. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I always thought to trademark your name was a hundred bucks, must have been mistaken for copyrighting.

Kris

9. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is a list of prices for the process towards getting a name trademarked (Prices will vary depending on who you go through, the government fees stay the same)

Knock-out Search: $200 processing fee

Comprehensive Search: $700 processing fee

Application: $500 processing fee; $325 government fee

Amendment to Allege Use/Statement of Use: $200 processing fee; $100 government fee

Extension of Time to File Statement of Use: $100 processing fee; $150 government fee

Reporting Publication/Processing Certificate of Registration: $250 processing fee

Reporting and Responding to Office Actions are billed at an hourly rate of $250 per hour.
    (The above fees are for one class of goods or services, for additional classes, refer back to document)

10. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Here, its $5 per town (169 towns) or if you want statewide protection you must register as a LLC its 250 fro the search and 250 to register as LLC.