registering Fictitious name

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by TTPRODR, Aug 29, 2007.

1. TTPRODR

TTPRODR LawnSite Member

ok I just register my Fictitious business name with the secretary of state.
    I did it but whats that actually for?
    so no one can copy your business name or what?

2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

now you can go to the bank and open a company checking account

3. TTPRODR

TTPRODR LawnSite Member

thats it?

4. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

it does protect your business name, means your a legal business, but that bank account is important, how are your clients going to write you a company check, its also so the business can be monitored to make sure you are paying your taxes......seems a pain, but by starting out legal, your on the right track...

dont forget to check and see if your state requires you to collect sales tax, many do including ohio.. for that you will need a vendors license, and a pesticide license for any cemical applications....

5. aracad

aracad LawnSite Member

dont forget to check and see if your state requires you to collect sales tax, many do including ohio.. for that you will need a vendors license, and a pesticide license for any cemical applications....[/QUOTE]

Daveintoledo How big of a pain is it to get the pesticide license just for killing weeds and grass. I am in Ohio also

6. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

I didn't need a license to open a bank account. Yes, it's to protect your name and make you pay taxes.

7. TTPRODR

TTPRODR LawnSite Member

how does protect the company name?
    got the letter showing that my lawn care name is registered but says that I don't have right of ownership of the name.
    then in what aspect is protected?

8. Harshman

Harshman LawnSite Member

It is to imform the state that you intend to do business under an assumed name or DBA. For lack of a better answer, as a sole proprietor, all you did was give yourself another name.

You do not have the right of ownership until you incorporate under that name.

9. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Registering a fictitious name allows someone to find you. Now if someone is looking for you they can go to the state and get your address and phone number. It has nothing to do with establishing a business.

10. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Additionally, you can create a business called "Bob's Business Group LLC" and then register it under the fictitious name of "Bob's Mowing". If you get tired of mowing and want to go into pond building you can change the name to "Bob's Ponds" and keep everything else pretty much intact.