Registration for lawn care??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Dec 20, 2006.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

So I was thinking last night as I was driving home from my daughter's gymnastics class. When we first signed our daughter up for gymnastics, there was a $25 registration fee. What this fee was for we were told was to get us logged into the computer system. I gladly paid the fee last January.
    Last night, I am given an envelope for the registration fee again. I told the lady, "i already paid this last year when I signed up my daughter." She says, "the registration fee is yearly." I said, "what for, you already have all my daughters info in the computer. She says, "the owner says it is yearly, no one has ever questioned this before." I just shook my head.
    Now you tell me, have you ever thought about charging your lawn customers a "registration fee"... and not only once, but a YEARLY registration fee???
    Would your lawn customers go for it? Why or why not?

2. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Being as you're a senior moderator on a website, tell them you're charging them a $50 celebrity appearance fee.:)

3. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like a tax to me. they know your are not going to take your daughter out of class over a twenty five dollar fee so they keep doing it.
    it would never fly in some industries.

4. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I'd never get away with it here. My daughter was in competitive gymnastics for 5 yrs. I've never paid so many "fees" in my life, every course, coach and tournament all have little $20-$50 fees built in. It is quite a racket.

5. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

I think you should charge a registertion fee and make the customer buy a box of candy for the funraiser to pay for your new equipment that you use on their lawn.

6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Yep lawn tamer, i'm beginning to see it now too with this gymnastics.
    Just kills me how they can get away with that, if we told that to a new lawn customer we were trying to sign up, they would just laugh at us. :hammerhead:

7. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats just nuts!! A yearly registration fee?? lol We all know that would never work in this industry!! Good for you MajorTom for questioning them about it, and i bet it caught em off guard.

8. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

My brother-in-law owns a gymnastics school, I'll have to see if he charges these ridiculous fees. He just moved to our town this year, and his budget has been a bit tight, but he's adding students every week. His biggest revenue generator is his open gym on Friday nights.

9. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

She can never say that, again. If enough question it, who knows?

But like Allure said, you wouldn't take your daughter out of the class over $25. But if everyone pays it, that adds up nicely for the owner.

LCO's who tried that would lose customers to LCO's that don't. Do you have that option with the classes?:)

10. stumpslawncare

stumpslawncare LawnSite Member

Would not work here in Indiana with my customers.