Regret paid me a little visit today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

We had some pretty bitter cold here last week and I spent that doing some private consulting for a large construction contractor... and I spent much of that time outdoors in the freezing cold observing operations.

Now this week it has warmed up and I've been working indoors building custom computers.

But this afternoon I knocked off early and for an appointment at a commercial lawn/landscape site. An old contact called for a bid finally and I decided to go out for a meet & greet since I'm still not sure if I am going to do a little green industry work or some sub-out.

Anyways, afterwards I came home... been needing to get that Christmas tree down and the things back in storage... LOL. But as I was cleaning up the storage building, moving things in/out/etc... I was really enjoying the warm weather and I got this heavy feeling as if something was not right or something was missing.

In a minute or so I realized it was the smell of fresh cut grass that was missing.

2. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Once it's in your blood you can't get it out !!

3. poonero

poonero LawnSite Member
    from ny

if lesco is indeed dead then rest assured its in heaven.

4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Right there with you Envy. It can melt, but it's still got the "winter smell".

5. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

that smell stays on the mowers for a while . In the winter its great to go out in the garage and get a fix. My wife got me a yankee candle one year at Christmas called "fresh cut grass". Not even close to the smell but a nice thought!!!

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

You will be back mowing or landscaping in no time. Once it is in your blood, you are stuck with it for life. I sold the mowing business, recently sold my lawn equipment shop, and now I am back at it again. This time grinding stumps and clearing acerage. Still mowing, just with bigger machines. I just can't snap out of it. I bet you won't give it up either.

7. LawnSharks

LawnSharks LawnSite Senior Member

You'll be back!!! Spring is right around the corner.

8. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

70 today...may have to get out chase the white ball this afternoon...

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know if I can get it totally out or not...
    I guess time will tell...

The funny part for me is that I really never liked the grass cutting end of the business.
    At least not until some switch flipped sometime in 1999.

Before then, I was way more interested in construction and landscaping.
    I still enjoy construction.... but only residential construction now...
    And I still enjoy landscaping... as long as there is a mix of business...

It's funny how things change over the years.

If I don't cut any grass at all anymore, I'll miss it I think. I don't know if my own property will give me enough of a fix. But at this point, I'm not sure I ever want to be tied down to the grind of a full mowing schedule again. I love it, but still... it can be very high pressure and there really is no freedom in it.

10. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Im sure you have considered mowing just a couple of days a week. If not im sure your property will be immaculate!