Regrets, I've had a few...

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by irrig8r, Mar 13, 2008.

1. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Ever install anything you've regretted, even years later?

I installed cobra connectors on several jobs 10 to 15 years ago... now it seems I can't go two weeks during our sprinkler season without running into one somewhere that's a problem.

Kinked, blown off, cut, squeezed...one case a long one was used to extend a head away from poured concrete stairs with the old PVC fitting left embedded in the concrete...

Someone used them in sort of a swing joint configuration on the heads I encountered today, terminating with two marlex str. 90s at each 4' pop-up head.

I was called out for a couple of broken heads and in replacing them also found one cobra connector squeezed between magnolia roots...

Anyway, my standard replacement procedure these days involves a Hunter SJ-506 swing joint. I haven't seen one fail yet, but I hope I don't come across them in a few years and swear at myself...

2. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

The only regret I have going back ten years is that ***** of an ex-wife.
    Regarding irrigation systems, it is a learning curve not quite fraught with the ramifications of a wife.
    I, for one, wouldn't worry about what was in the ground - although I could tell what I WISH was in the ground!

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Some days I regret I was even born. :laugh: :hammerhead: :cry: :nono: ;)

4. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I regret listening to Rainbird and installing T-Bird rotors

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I was just thinking that!!!!! I was working for someone else then. we were putting in TBirds right at the time I started in irrigation. And then replacing them the next 3-5 years

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

The old white plastic Dawn saddles come to mind. The plastic screws would eventually break, or they would twist a little and leak. Or the "oh crap I forgot to cut the hole out of those two" when we would first fire up the zones.

7. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

I hear that one!...

Toro Super 700s too.

And servicing older Toro and Buckner plastic valves instead of ripping them out...

And installing galvanized pipe underground in clay soils anywhere...

8. badassgrass

badassgrass LawnSite Member

I regret not being a high dollar prostitute in New York and only have to work one hour a month.

9. spitwad

spitwad LawnSite Member

What happens to galvanized pipe in clay soil??

10. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

If you looked like that, youre wasting your time here!