regrets?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Leone LawnCare, Apr 11, 2003.

1. Leone LawnCare

Leone LawnCare LawnSite Member

any of you guys regret being in this business? im 17 and i wonder do i make a go of it i mean i already have 40 accounts. or do i pursue another career?

2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

What is making you question yourself??

3. Leone LawnCare

my parents are telling me that i cant make a good living in this business but i think i can. but my dad is coming from an engineer background and my mom from marketing. plus it seems like everyday a new lco is appearing. I love cutting grass though its more than a job its a hobby to make peoples lawns look great. i think it relaxes me too.

4. KenH

from CT

Let me guess...you dont want to go to college??

5. Leone LawnCare

no i am going to college im definatly not stupid i have a 2.9 gpa and i planned on going to wayne State and get an advertising degree and then eventually stop doing the wrok and just do bidding and advertising. plus i would want something to fall back on.

6. KenH

from CT

Hmmm....I counted 17 errors in your above post!!!:D (Just kidding around with you.) Actually going to school is a good move. Can you prove to your parents financially you CAN make a living at this?? What is actually making them think you cannot??

7. Leone LawnCare

well probably looking at all the other lco in the area and seeing how scrubby they look. only torre bruglio is big they say. i dont know maybe if i had some proof that i could make 100000 dollars a year. i think i could. eventually. have any way to prove it to them ? picture? they are probably just lookin out for me but this is something that i truely enjoy.

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Only regret I have personally is not doing it sooner (1st thing in my old job that I didn't miss was traveling 250k miles a year) and being away from my family 46 weeks of the year.

9. KenH

from CT

I can almost bet they are looking out for you, and are concerned about the 'image' some landscapers portray. I have been in this business for 20 years and now support a family of four (wife does not work), own my house, and have money in the bank. It can be done. You dont have to be 'big' to make it. Right now, I have about 50 residentials, 30 of them are 'high end."

10. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

Im with rodfather. I wish i would of decided sooner to get the ball rolling faster. It wasnt until i was 22 that i decided to change my major from electrical engineering to business management.

Than there is the 3 years in the military i wasted ..... we wont get into that.