Regular Cab vs. Extended

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by DSLND, Dec 7, 2007.

1. DSLND

DSLND LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys,

I've been looking at trucks, both regular cabs, and extended cabs.

Regular Cab Advantages:
    -Long Bed
    -More Space for Debris/Other Stuff

-Not much room for extra stuff/people
    -I hear it's harder to plow with reg. cab

Extended Cab Advantages:
    -More room
    -Hear it's easier to plow
    -Especially with school, i can throw stuff back there, and still have the front open

-Shorter bed
    -Less room for debris, etc

I will be pulling a single-axle trailer to start off, then upgrading to an 18-20' enclsoed trailer. It will have an 8' Western plow mounted eventually, along with a tailgate spreader. Also will serve as my personal vehicle.

Heres two trucks i'm currently looking at:

2. DSLND

Other one......

3. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

I hear and think that plowing with a reg. cab is easier but ther can't too much of a significant difference. I'd would only go with the extended cab for work related usage if it also had an 8' bed. I've package myself and 2 other guys in a regular several times and its snug but managable even with a bunch of stuff. Since your truck will be used for work everyday i would prefer to sacrifice cab space for more bed length. Do you plan on getting a dump insert?
  4. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Honestly, I would get a truck with an extended cab and long bed. The way I look at it, I would be VERY lost having a personal truck that wasn't an extended cab, and there is NO way I would work out of a short bed truck. Yea, its 2 feet longer, but it wouldnt be THAT big of a deal. Just be careful in tight parking spots.
  5. DSLND

Micah: I see your point. Yes, i plan on putting a dump insert in a truck, mainly for grass debris, etc. I really want to go look at the extended cab, excited to see the difference in the extended cab and the regular's.

Eric: Thanks for the reply! How's that old truck of yours holding up?

6. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Very good. Haven't had any major problems really, a few minor things though. It will be getting a dumping flatbed next summer. Also probably will repaint it in the next year or so.
  7. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

I have owned both & i swore i would never buy another regular cab. I took delivery of an 08 regular cab wendsday,
    plenty of leg room, very sharp ride!
  8. lawnman456

lawnman456 LawnSite Member
    from ct

i have a 98 2500 hd extended cab long bed. the only thing i don't like is the extended cab back doesn't open. i like having room in the back plus the 8 ft bed
  9. SimonCX

SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member

Plowing with a regular cab is easier in small drivways. I like the long bed over the short sometimes the extra 2 ft comes in handy but you can get a dump insert for a short bed to.
  10. HBLandscaping

HBLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 96 Chevy 1500 Reg Cab and a 02 2500 HD Ext Cab 8ft bed, Its hard to say which one is better. The 02 is great when I need to carry alot of People or need the extra inside room, but when it comes to small spaces or plowing snow your really cant beat the 96.

Take both out for a ride and see/feel the difference between them (Highway, Backroads, Big open parking lots and small tight lots etc). Then go home and put some thought into which one will suite you better for work based on your everyday needs (Not wants... I made that mistake once when I first started). Will you need that extra room inside vs losing that extra mobility, Think about how much hauling will you will REALLY do. When taking out the X-cab and see/feel the length remember you'll have 2 more feet on it with a plow. Think about the total length with the X-cab towing a trailer. There's alot to think about but just take your time and think about what will work the best for you. Good luck and let us know when you make your decision.