Regular customer change?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, Apr 29, 2004.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Just a question to you guys,

If you had a regular customer that you did mowing for $35 and you've been servicing them for awhile and they contact you and said I like you and all, but I just got offered $30 for my yard.

What would you guys do?

1) Say okay, I'll match it at $30 and continue?

2) Sorry, $35 and lose that account?

:confused:

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

sorry,you know my work and you know my reliability,if the five bucks is that important then i'm not interested.

3. alpine692003

So you would say $35 if not, the other guy could have it for $30
    ?

4. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I think if i had enough accounts I too would say you know my work and your going to pay some schmoe to do it that you've never seen work before. but for now I'm just starting and every bit counts until i get on my feet so i'd take the 5 dollar hit and then tell them next year i want 35 or I'm droping them.

5. alpine692003

Hmmm...

Yah, I think I'm going to tell her $35 or nothing .. I aint going to lower my freaking price!

6. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

yes but it depends if you need them or not. so another words look at your other jobs and figure out what u have and then figure out if they really mean anything? but i wouldnt because its 30$ now and maybe half way through they will say someone offered me 20 etc

7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Of course not match it. That's nuts.
    Let's just say you were to match it. Then 2 months later she is going to say, "I found someone that will do my lawn for $25." Will you match that too?
    She either likes your service and agrees to pay for it, or she hits the road.
    Understand, this is coming from someone who has more than enough accounts and turns them down daily. I say matching a price looks desperate though and looks like you can be pushed around.

8. alpine692003

Ya, thanks for the advice guys!

I'm going to tell her $35 ..

9. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

In my area there is enough work, so I would tell the customer that if my price was no longer acceptable, they can find someone else. Leave the option open for them to come back at the regular price.

Try telling your regular plumber or electrican the same , and they will not match any prices.

10. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Yep.
    Prices increase they don't decrease.
    JMO.