Regular in the front a little more off the back

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rdran5, Oct 2, 2004.

1. This old man, pays on time and for the most part is a pretty good customer, but lately every week it is something else, yesterday, "could you cut the back a little shorter, It seems to grow faster than the front" he is 82 yrs old, and I want to say, " dude it grows the same" but instead I say yes sir and carry on. I lowered to 3" and kept the standard 3 1/4 in the front, I am just venting a little..... :angry:

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

If he's a good customer i'd just go ahead and do whatever he tells me to do as long as it reasonable without charging extra.

3. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto On Above

4. gramps

gramps LawnSite Member

Agree. Whats the problem. :rolleyes:

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Next time skip the front and just mow the back. Mission accomplised!!!
    1/2 the work same amount of money lol

Mac

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i'm thinking about next year charging $3-5 bucks for a hieght change.

7. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

height adjustment on a ZTR is a piece of cake 10seconds at the most.. Now a belt WB is another story.. Taking blades off and moving spacers is a $25 charge.. But soon, I won't run any walkbehinds and the 2-4 customers I need the walkbehind know I cut at 3 1/2" and nothing else or its $25.00..

8. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

I would just give him what he wants. Now I had a customer come to me earlier this year asking me to cut it all a little lower, I said "No problem". Because on my 36" I'd have to remove the spacers and I didn't want to I just cut it the same hieght as always and she was pleased. Never noticed and been doing it the same all year. Wish it was always that easy. Now on others I've changed my height if it was on the easier ones to adjust.

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

branch, that's dishonest.....i love it. quality $25 to lower 2 blades? it takes less than 3 minutes.

10. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

Well like rdran5 said he only dropped them a 1/4 inch. Most people won't know. I wouldn't charge extra to drop them unless they are wanting it scalped. Them I'd tell them it's extra due to it being harder on the equipment and needing to sharpen the blades after I'm done. But then I wouldn't take the job myself, I hate scalping.