regular job and lawn mowing on the side

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by little mike, Nov 9, 2005.

1. little mike

little mike LawnSite Member

I'd like to know how many of you work a regular 40 hr or more job,and how many clients do you have.This season I had 50,but I'd like to know if 200 or so is possible.I do know that next season I'll have to buy a 32" SCAG to get a little better productivity.Is there anything else I might need though.

2. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

It sounds like you have the accounts for a full time business. Why not quit the main job and work full time for you? As far as that many accounts, how large are they and are you planning on employees? You need to ask and answer a lot of questions and then work your numbers to solve them.

3. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Anything is possible with the equipment and employees to help out. I would think your problem would be finding people who want to work after hours and the weekends, and what happens if they quit and it's two weeks before you can get more help. Sounds like the above poster is correct in thinking a move to full time might be worth investigating.

4. spinrider2000

spinrider2000 LawnSite Member

hey Little Mike, I work the 40 hours and then go cutting. Every day during the growing season I am cutting something. At last count I had 26 accounts. If I had another 26 I would quit one of the jobs!.....employees? I have a 14 year old that I am tutoring as to what quality is and what a customer is looking for! I wonder what the % of part timers there are in the business. Are they a thorn in the side for the full time guys?

5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Dude, If you have 50 accounts and holding down a full time job- your a better man than I....

6. little mike

little mike LawnSite Member

It sounds like you have the accounts for a full time business. Why not quit the main job and work full time for you?
    the reason Scott is because of the insurance benefits.I read on here allthe time how some guys manage to cut anywhere from 80 to 90 yards a week and work full time.I'd like to know how to do it.All of my clients live on small properties,front and back yard combined is approx. 2500 sq. ft.That is the reason I targeted that neighborhood.

7. kirk brown

kirk brown LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

i`m working 40 hours in a Ford dealership and can`t wait till the day that i can say"c-ya later". It`s tough doing both but i get way more satisfaction working for myself.
    good luck

8. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

I thought the same thing myself just after I asked you:D Insurance is a complete rip off unless your company pays the bigger part of it. Those should be fast lawns if you're not fighting small gates and can use a fairly wide deck. Are you bagging?

9. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I worked full time 45+ hours a week, and got up to about 50 accounts, both weekly and bi-weekly. I'd cut in the morning and be in my store about noon, with Fridays off to cut the whole day. Damn near killed me, I was tired all the time, but made great money to get my biz off the ground. I've been full time LCO since May. I don't know anyone who mows 90 lawns per week and works a full time job, not with themselves on the crew at least. Lawnsite is part fact, and part fantasy. :cool:

10. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I quit my 40 hour a week job to work double that doing this full time....never been happier :waving: