Regular Maintenance?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Chris B., Jul 24, 2008.

1. Chris B.

Chris B. LawnSite Senior Member

What regular maintenance should I do on my Walk behind, trimmer, and push mower.

2. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I maintenance all my stuff at the end of the week. Mowers get greased, air filters cleaned, blades sharpened, clean out around the spindles. My handhelds get serviced at the first, middle and end of the season. New air filter, spark plug, fuel filter...

Real gear heads who know what they are doing may have something else to add...but this has kept my stuff going for 6 yrs now.

3. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

new airfilters for the handhelds once or twice a year. oil changes ,grease, oil filter ,air filter, gas filter ,sharpen blades, and new belts for the WB

4. Phil G

Phil G LawnSite Senior Member

I figure none of us like the idea of committing to regular maintenance. If you've still got the hand books that came with your equipment try and follow their advise.
    In addition to the books I would strongly recommend more frequent oil/air filter changes if you're in dry/dusty conditions. Set aside a regular time slot, maybe one hour every Saturday morning or when you've finished Friday night (just put the beers on hold for an hour):drinkup:
    From my experience you can double if not treble the useful life of equipment if maintained to a high standard.
    Now, git yer butt out there and start changing oil. :)

atb Phil