Regular Watering For Seed in the Fall

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Smallaxe, Oct 3, 2012.

1. greenstar lawn

greenstar lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Riggles the elevator blend has 20 percent perrenial rye and 20 percent fescue.
    The Scotts blend i can't remember what all was in it but I am sure it had rye and fescue in it as well
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure where you live, but for cool-season grasses, w/out irrigation,,, Dormant Seeding is the best and surest solution... as long as your not trying to kill crabgrass as soon as the grass starts to grow... :)

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

You are both wrong, Axe being more wrong than Humble.

Once the germination process is complete (radicle emergence), the seeds dessication tolerance is essentially gone. That however is not saying that dessication during germination will not lead to an nonviable seed.

If you want a highly successful over seeding event, keep seed and soil moist.

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

radicle emergence occurs w/out moisture for the root 1/2" deep in the soil... I don't imagine that moisture in the soil is important, because the surface of the ground needs to be wet at all times...
    I have another idea for this thread... let's obfuscate the intention and the understanding as to WHY and HOW this process occurs, and start calling everyone WRONG and stupid because some plumber can't understand that roots also emerge at germination and are able to get water from the soil w/out the benfit of perpetual activity from the plumbing... let go in that direction... :angry:

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Wow Axe, your ignorance is astounding. :clapping:

6. DirtRoad

DirtRoad LawnSite Member

Im in Lowell Michigan.

What makes sense to me is the seed will sit and waite until the conditions are right, could possibly take years.

The only obsticle would be keeping animals from eating your seed.

So the right question for people in my situation is how do you keep the animals from eating your seed.

7. greenstar lawn

What animals are u worried about that will eat ur seed?
    Throw some straw over it if your worried
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. DirtRoad

DirtRoad LawnSite Member

Birds, chipmunks, voles, field mice, and even some insects eat any seeds they can get ahold of. Cant believe I had to explain that, figured it was common knowledge, especially for an LCO. No offense but come on man.

I have a 3 acre lawn, spreading anything like that is impractical.

9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I live in town, but the sparrows that visit the bird feeder so not seem to be interested in the seed I threw on the ground. No visits from squirrels or chipmunks as far as I can tell. Hopefully, I have planted enough to compensate for any the the animals cart away.

True, I planted some seed at a vacant lot about a month ago, more traffic than I wanted, and my markers were somewhat damaged due to kids standing around as it turned out to be a bus stop. Still, new grass is visible.

10. greenstar lawn

Posted via Mobile Device