Regular Watering For Seed in the Fall

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Smallaxe, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Riggle is correct in that birds are not really interestted in grass seed, let alone chipmucks and voles... the seed gets lost in dirt real quick and is not attractive to animals of any sort, until germination... its no different than Sandhill Cranes eating the corn fields for the sprouts...
    Seed sitting in the ground for years? all of it?? nothing grows for years and the animals will destry it??? I've never seen that happen,,, and I would like to know of anyone who has overseeded/seeded without irrigation and got nothing for years... plz, report those episodes for everyones' benefit... new mythology?? or just another snide attack??? :)

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Both you and riggle are insane. I have watched birds pick over seeded areas almost clean, and you can bet anything else that eats seeds will take advantage of the feast you just laid down, even areas that have been top dressed with compost. In fact, I took a pic once of one of the little mf's doing just that on an over seeded area. The pic only shows 1 of about 8 that were eating the seed.

IMG_0418a.JPG

3. brown thumb

brown thumb LawnSite Member

It has been proven that seed broadcast on the soil surface has a very high rate of loss from birds, mice, etc. There are credible studies or dissertations from some univerities out there that I remember reading. Seed drilled in or broadcast right before a good snow event eliminated some loss. I would think this year would be worse due to the lack of flowering and seed set in typical habitats.

4. DirtRoad

DirtRoad LawnSite Member

What i was saying went so far over your head, im not sure i could explain it any more simple.

The reason i think it would be possible for seed to sit and waite for years for the right conditions is because once i threw a handful of seed that was sitting in one of my bins out next to my pole barn, wasn’t trying to grow it, just tossed it out to get rid of it. Nothing ever grew, fall came and went, winter came and went, spring came and went, summer came and went then the beginning of the following fall i had baby grass start popping up in that spot, i was astonished. So if it can sit and waite for a year, through 4 seasons, then im willing to bet it would sit there even longer if it didn’t get what it needed naturally until it does.
    That particular spot just got lucky that the birds and other animals didn’t stumble across it, probably because there is a ton of human activity day and night year round where I threw it out on the ground.

They gotta be insane or just not paying attention after they put down seed.

5. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

6. Smallaxe

I've never lost an overseeding whether birds came there or not,,, can't prove a negative... big deal... seeds can indeed do remarkable things and if have a 5 year drought, those seeds will germinate after the rains come again... no big barnstorming information, no great revelations and a real stupid excuse as to why "My grass didn't growing,,, because the birds ate them all gone"...

Maybe you could can go ruin another thread now, becuz the birds and the rodents are making growing grass impossible unless its done the plumbers' way... what a joke...

7. DirtRoad

DirtRoad LawnSite Member

How many grass seed threads do you need to start anyways? Everything you have asked has been answered, people and companys have been studying this subject for many decades, its just a google search away.

8. greenstar lawn

greenstar lawn LawnSite Senior Member

If it's just a Google search away then why didn't u Google your question that u asked in this thread? I mean no offense but come on man
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Smallaxe

And have these decades of study taught us anything about irrigating 2 or 3 times a day to get seed to germinate??? have you personally witnessed seed germination on an overseeded lawn that wasn't irrigated??? do the birds and rodents make it impossible for you to overseed an unirrigated lawn???
    THAT is what was being discussed, before all this foolishness about a seed germinating in dessicated soils and birds and rodents eating everything up... THAT is what makes you think that everyone else is stupid??? :laugh: give me a break... only irrigated lawns can be safe from rodents and the seed will just sit there for years... that is relevant,,, HOW???

10. DirtRoad

DirtRoad LawnSite Member

I was being lazy, i admit it. But i wouldnt start a thread, multiples of them, when its a google search away. A post just for small talk sure why not.