Regulating Lawn Service Companies

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by theturfboss, Aug 2, 2007.

1. theturfboss

theturfboss LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

There are lots of post about LCOs that operate on a cash bases, pay employees cash, do not carry insurance, do not pay taxes, etc. Those of us who operate under a true business structure (legit) sometimes are disadvantaged in competition because there are some who do not follow the rules. I think you can lump non-insured, no tax payers, illegal employers in to one pile. The most regulated side of our industry deals with the application of fertilizers and pesticides. Truth be told, if you can simply pass a test and purchase insurance (at least in Indiana) you are licensed by the State and good to go. Even with these low level regulations, the shear number of LCOs that apply pesticides is a small fraction of the total companies in the industry. Is it because of the minimal regulations in place. I think so. Because of these regulations, most of the companies that are applying pesticides are working in a more professional manner (insured, pay tax, etc.).

Why not enact minimal regulation on companies that only mow? For example, simply require them to carry insurance and have a Federal tax number. If you weed out the companies that do not have these, how many would this be? Would adding some minor regulation increase the standards in our industry? It could be policed in the same way as the pesticides are policed. I am not one who wants a tremendous amount of government involvement. If I have to pay taxes, carry insurance, report hiring date, etc., why shouldn't everyone else be held to the same standard?

Food for thought.

2. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

i would agree times ten i was just thinking about the exact same thing today an d yesterday , something needs to be done for sure! dont get me wrong id rather have the teens out mowing then doing this or that rasin h@ll but at some point we need to draw the line. just as simple as having to prove half a mil or a mil. in liability would cut out at least half of the problems. the problem is that this needs to be in-forced! could't agree more !!!!!!