Reliability of the Lawnboy Transmission

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by asyracus, Aug 5, 2004.

1. asyracus

asyracus LawnSite Member

I've decided to get the 2-stroke 21" Lawnboy from Lowes.

I'm curious.....does anyone else out there run this mower? If so, how is the self-propel holding out?

Thanks!

2. asyracus

asyracus LawnSite Member

come on......as many folks talk about Lawnboy on this website, there's bound to be someone with some insight!!

3. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

the commercial SP Lawnboys are Terrible...Drive Wheels crack & cables snap like Butter...If you can fing a LB Commercial 6.5hp Duraforce Push Get it ! They're light enough you Don't Need SP !

4. Lawnboy112

Lawnboy112 LawnSite Member

Lawnboy gold series are good. Never had one myself but have used one with a friend. Just my two cents.

5. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

I didn't know they make a commercial self propelled????? Just cuz the engine says commercial doesn't mean the mower is. My push mowers are excellent, but i can't imagine any self propelled 21" trans. lasting long, being used in this business, but that's just me.

6. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

My father has a '94 LB Silver Series, used to cut 1/4 acre lot, 25x/year, for ten years, that has never had a tranny problem. However it is a bit on the slow side. I often find myself releasing the drive bail and pushing.

Why not just buy the Toro commercial 21" and forget about all these consumer units? They're just not made for commercial work.

7. Fareway Lawncare

from Canada

They make True Commercial LB SP's w/Plastic Drive Wheels & Badly Designed Cables...The Commercial Push is a Better choice & it's indestructible!

8. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I know they are light, but who wants to actually push a mower?

9. Fareway Lawncare

from Canada

The LB Commercials are No Longer ...The Enviro-Nuts Killed them....Push ?

Try Pull, Turn & Lift Compared to a 4Stroke Bohemoth or even a Suzuki Proline On Real Small Lots!

They Were Sweet Mowers...Perhaps the Greatest 21" ...Gone Forever....

lbppush.jpg

10. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

fareway,
    that's the same machines i'm using. they don't die. everyone keeps telling me they don't make them anymore, and i guess this is the last year. But here on the island, you can get them everywhere for about $650 minus the chute. if i wanted to, i could probably buy 75 of them tomorrow. (i f i had the $$$$ also). that's all anyone uses here, so i guess these dealers stock up...... i'd like to buy atleast 1 more by the end of the year.