Relocating Business

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jphag, Oct 1, 2004.

1. jphag

jphag LawnSite Member

Has anyone relocated their businees half way across the country? I am moving to Florida and want to continue my business and was wanting input on the best way to get restablished. I know it won't happen over night but any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I relocated to S. Florida last year and am counting the days till I leave in about a month. Just have to sell the house. I found the market in my particular area to be a poor one. From weather (humid and hot much of the year, lots of bugs) to customers (many were obnoxious and rude, others were cheap, others were just goofy and left too much junk laying around to mow around), to the going rates ($25 for lawns I'd have done back home for $32 or more)

No particular advice that you probably don't already know. Just be prepared to get your occupational license, a chem license if needed (good luck), insurance here was much higher than back home for both vehicle and gen liability. Gas costs $2.25 gallon. Costs of living are higher. Housing costs are sky high. But all that can vary based on where you relocate to. Find a good source of ads. Oddly, the Pennysaver magazine is used down there to solicit customers. I tried it and did get a lot of calls, though they were hardly rich yuppie types. Still it was dirt cheap advertising.

And oh yeah, learn to love Hurricanes. I had 2 pass right over my house in 3 weeks. The rest of this week will be burned doing cleanup on my own home's 2.3 acre lawn full of downed trees and limbs, cleaning gutters, etc. Just finished a worse cleanup from Frances the day before Jeanne struck.

3. jphag

jphag LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input. Why are you leaving Fl. Is it because of the hurricanes? Well good luck. Are you going to continue Lawn care?

Thanks

4. Geoffrey

Geoffrey LawnSite Member

Brucec32,
    How was the lic. process? I heard it is a huge pain in FL. I heard it is because of all the fruit plants. Is the spray market just as tough as the lawn care market?

Geoff

5. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

John, I sent you a P.M. I will be there this winter, and am willing to help you out. Let me know...JIM.

6. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Be prepared for low prices for lawn care. You'll need to have 50 to 60 lawns per week to make it as a solo. I have 63 with an average price of about $22 each. Depending on the area that you'll be moving to, you might be able to get a little more per lawn. I'm in Citrus County about 60 miles north of Tampa on the gulf coast. Plenty of grass cutters here, both legal and illegal and that is probably why prices are so low. But there is plenty of work in lawns, shrubs, trees, landscape installs, you name it...it's here. Just don't expect to get rich doing it. Good luck!

7. Wreak

Wreak LawnSite Member

$22 each for one-offs or are you saying you average $22 per week with a monthly of $88?

The parent's of a guy I work with owns an LCO up in the Lecanto area. I'm not sure what the name of their business though.

8. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I thought Bruce made it pretty clear John. He leaving because it sucks.. period! He summed up my experience down there.

Good luck..

9. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

The $22 average is per cut. I don't quote per month prices since many people will balk if you tell them "$88 per month". Somehow $22 per week sounds better to them. Some accounts are less than that. With all the grass cutters in this area the prices have been depressed to a point that it's nearly impossible to make a profit on small lawns. I've tried to bid up prices but most of the people in this area won't go for it. There are LCO's advertising in the local newspaper for $12 cuts. I've given estimates to customers in some areas for $20 for 10k SF and was told that the current guy is doing it for $15. That's the kind of pricing structure you have to deal with in this area. I talked to a LCO last week that is quiting lawn care because of the low prices. He has 3 crews working 5-6 days (320 accounts) a week and will eliminate lawn care after this season. He's going to concentrate on landscape installs and tree work.

I'm lucky since I'm retired and I don't have to make a living from lawn care. I don't know how a legitimate LCO could support himself and a family with the low prices in this area. I have some accounts in the Lecanto/Inverness area and the pricing there is also extremely low.

10. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

My in-laws retired to Tampa 10 years ago and gets his cut for $10 a week (mobile home park) now. He says their is plenty of retirees that cut lawns for something to do and supplement income.