1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Relocating Lawn Service - Advice?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rook00, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Rook00

Rook00 LawnSite Member

Last year I mowed about 20 lawns in a small town (although I had a few 5 acre yards) and now I am moving an hour south into the a city (about 40,000 people). I've got a 52" snapper walk-behind (23 hp Kohler) and trimming/blowing equipment. I have placed a bid on my college property (43.5 acres) for $525 per mowing. I am also looking at purchasing an Encore Prowler with a 61" deck and a 25 hp Kawasaki brand new for $7,000. What do you all think about the equipment and bid? Any suggestions for moving a business? I also am considered a 6'X16' covered trailer brand new for $3,000. Love to hear from you. Thanks.

2. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

Is that 43 acers of grass.
  3. Rook00

Rook00 LawnSite Member

Yes, 43 acres of grass
  4. Rook00

Rook00 LawnSite Member

I figured 11 hrs mowing + 6 hrs trimming/blowing @ $30/hr+ and came up with the number. . . I actually think I can do it quicker than that.
  5. stpamo

stpamo LawnSite Member

Hey Rook,
    Any way you can get a larger deck than 61"? 8 to 10" inches more could save you 30 to 45 minutes therefore increasing your hourly rate! Example would be Dixie Chopper, Great Dane. You might want to think about something that is liquid cooled for such long mowing periods. Good luck.:)
  6. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

Exmark lazer z 27Hp Lc Kaw 60"
  7. tx_angler

tx_angler LawnSite Senior Member

$525/43.5 acres = $12.07 per acre!

This is a joke right?
  8. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

That is ridiculously low try to get at least 30 an acre, really you should get 45-60
  9. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

If this is not a joke post. With ( 2) 60" mowers you can't cut 43 acers in 11 hours in the real world. I would bid with out seeing the site 3000.00 per cut and up.
  10. Rook00

Rook00 LawnSite Member

The maintance department cuts the entire thing in 11 hrs with an exmark that has a 72" deck. I've watched him mow; he is slow. It is possible that the 43 acres includes buildings and parking lots (which, I know, makes a HUGE difference).

What are your Exmarks running you $$?