Relocating to Nashville

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Shawnhines, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Shawnhines

Shawnhines LawnSite Member

I am in the US CoastGuard full time. My wife is going back to school, so I thought I could try to make some cash by mowing lawns. How small do think I can start out? If I make some money how fast do you think I should expand? This is all going to be part time. After work and on the weekends... What do you think??? Any info will help...

2. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

One of the biggest problems with people just starting out is that they want a big business in two years or less. Take things slow for the first couple years and learn about the business and get used to the work you will be doing. I see it all the time where businesses grow to fast and I have done it myself take the time to learn. I would suggest that you go out and get a good commercial walkbehind, trimmer, blower to start with. Then grow your business slowly over the next two years and as business grows buy more equipment : ztr, walkbehinds, 21", lawn roller, edger, sprayer, and the list goes on. Growing to fast will give you more headaches than you want and will end up hurting your business in the long run.

3. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice looking area at least.

I remember driving through there on the way to Savannah for our brief 8 month experiemental move to the east coast.

4. Shawnhines

Thanks to both... What kind of contracts do you all set up? What would a example be for just a bi weekly mow and trim? If that isn't right want would I need to put down.

5. Grass-Masters

Grass-Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I am moving as well, going to georgia. Not to change the subject but, did you ever get your logo done Shawn. If so what did you go with. G:) :) D Luck.

6. Shawnhines

No I kind of stopped working on it for a while. they were talking about moving me then they weren't.... That is the Military I guess... Well I got my orders so I am looking forward to moving to the area. Were are you moving too in Georgia???

7. Shawnhines

All I am still looking for some example contract prices??? I figure sign them up for 6 months, but I am not sure what to charge... How do you guys do this...

8. Grass-Masters

Grass-Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Call some local companies and find out what they are charging for what ever size lots you are going after. That will give you a good starting point.

9. Frosty_03

Frosty_03 LawnSite Senior Member

Shawn I would scope the area out you want to work and remember there is a place called brentwood where you would be in your high in residentia homes. I live in memphis and my lowest price is $40 for a 1/4 acer lot. That is mowing edging, weedeating and blowing. When I leave it looks professionally done, no grass clipping on the street.:cool2: I really know of brentwood area only in Nashville. Good Luck and if you are ever in Memphis give me a call.:cool2:

10. Shawnhines

I figured on just useing the push mower and trimmer that I use at the house. Try and get a few lawns on the side nothing big. If I pay for gas and can buy a new blower I will look at new mowers. Anybody in the area of Nashville. I am looking at buying a house in Madison, Hendersonville, TN...