Relocating?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by stuvecorp, Nov 26, 2008.

1. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

Has anyone ever moved your business out of the area you started in? For some reason I have been thinking about heading north the last couple years and wonder if I could pull it off?

2. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

How far north? like to another town not to far away? or like a whole other state?

3. stuvecorp

Hard to say, maybe just a couple hours. Is it crazy to go to a smaller market?

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

It's hard to say. My dad is in a small, full time resident market. In a town of only 4,400 year 'round residents, he relies on almost 80% of his business to come from those building second homes. It's crazy because the slowdowns this year were not felt for him, it was his best year ever and it was off to a seriously late start, first project wasn't underway until May. He could have done another 10-15% gross sales had he started a month or so earlier, like he normally does. However, if it wasn't for rich folk from the Seattle are building second homes, I can't imagine there would be much work for even 2 hardscapers in town. There's only 2 other local companies that directly compete at my dad's level and they are very respectable companies. Everyone else has no equipment, no design abilities, not a clue what to use for plants, forget hardscaping and speak little english.

I have often, and when I say often I mean practically every day, thought about going back into business for myself at some point. It's only a matter of time, the only thing that gives me trouble deciding is where I want to do it; in the Seattle area or back home. There is more opportunity here in the Seattle area, but there's more competition and I have zero connections. Like they say, it's not what you know, it's who you know. Back home, I know a lot of builders, a lot of folks in the community, but I would be in a limited size market. However, there are a lot of guys running around there with 120/150 size hoes, a backhoe or dozer, and call themselves excavation contractors. If I was to go back into business, I'd be doing something specialized, I just haven't figured out what that is, but I eventually will.

5. stuvecorp

Probably the area I am thinking of most the town only has 1500-2000 people but there are a lot of lakes and people that come from Illinois or Minnesota so you get that second home /cabin thing going. I know a builder that does real well and have talked to them some off and on over the years but have never point blank asked them for work. I do know of a landscaper/carpenter in the town and he is good but I know the market is nowhere close to what some of us are doing here. The plan would to have the big dump, excavator and the two skids and go any where within a hour circle. I would likely shot for more excavating but I think a complete package(hardscape/hydroseeding/grading/softscapes) for the folks that are doing their cabins would go over.

6. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

How would the difference in the distance change your time frame as in the weather???? Shorter work season for dirt work,but more time for snow remover is that something you have thought about.

Which one will make more money and how long of a season for each.If i wasn't so old i would consider moving farther south if anything:) Good luck!:usflag:

7. Junior M

If you are just dont move to an area without alot of money, if that makes sense. When Dad was in business in Ohio he was in a prime area, working in Columbus, in the suburbs around Columbus, and the other small towns that surrounded that had huge money in them from Longaberger Baskets, and then all the other big rich communities from the people that work for Wex Lexner (<sp?) and then just people that just have money.

Where here, it is a middle to upper middle class community, there isnt alot of money here, there is a couple communities with a little money, but they are old money communities, with alot of older people who bought the houses new in the 70's and they arent spending there money on grading and stuff like we do, most of our work is for new houses, even with the pools, we only did 3 houses with people actually living in them, the rest are new houses that people are either still working on or are being moved into. and most of our pool work is around the lake, ironically, and thats really where the money is here...

8. JDSKIDSTEER

JDSKIDSTEER LawnSite Bronze Member

He wants to move to Canada and hire Pebble Mouse.........Im sorry, I could not resist.

9. Junior M

Why would he want to hire GR? so GR can drive around in his F450 hauling useless crap, and complaining about not having work, and then the work quality sucking, and the boss being horrible.. Oh, god and dont forget Stuvecorps trucks wont be good enough, and his equipment will suck and will be falling apart, until he got there and fixed everything because he is so smart. :laugh: Sorry, I just had to get one good sarcastic comment in..

10. JDSKIDSTEER

JDSKIDSTEER LawnSite Bronze Member

I thought you would like that idea.