Remember back..

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Mrk'sLawn, May 30, 2006.

1. Mrk'sLawn

Mrk'sLawn LawnSite Member

This question is for LCO'S who have been in business for a few years. Did most or all of you guys start out solo? I want to grow more and have a guy who helps me at times but he is not very good at all. I end up, most times, going back over the work he has finished and he is very rough on the equipment. I guess my question is, if I can get the accounts, would it be better to hire someone with more experience? The only thing holding me back on trying to really go after more work is my insurance costs going up. Right now I'm only paying 800.00 or so a year if I add an employee how much more can I expect to pay? My helper now is my slacker Brother in Law and I'm worried about not having WC on him anyway. Should I just pay extra and place an add in the paper for someone with experience? I've heard so much about growing too fast that it worries me some. This is only my first year in business. Should I continue the first year solo and see where it leads me. Almost all my customers are very happy and no doubt I will be able to keep some if not all for next year. Any thoughts would be great. thanks

2. Joey bag a' donuts

Joey bag a' donuts LawnSite Member

As long as you can provide hours and pay your guys every week I'd say go ahead and try to hire someone else...It sounds like your not too happy with your current worker so fire him and find someone thats going to do his job.