Remember When?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SR Landscaping, Feb 26, 2003.

1. SR Landscaping

SR Landscaping LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Bobcats were about the only Machine?
    And they were ORANGE!
    Gas powered Hedge trimmers weighed a ton?
    So we all had Little Wonder Electrics, and a long orange extension cord with alot of black electical tape on it from our mistakes and splices!
    When you thought a 5HP Ground Blower was POWERFUL?
    1000.00 a week was GREAT MONEY?
    5.00 an hour was great pay for our laborers?
    TANAKA?
    Briggs&Stratton made the best engines?
    Having to use PAYPHONES?
    Especially when your BEEPER went off!
    When your Wife and/or Girlfreind thought you were NUTS for spending over 1000.00 on a Mower, you had to WALK BEHIND?
    When that FIRST BIG check came in?
    That great Spring Smell the first day LAST YEAR?
    Well its almost that time again! Lets go out and have a Great Season, be safe and be HAPPY:blob3:
    AND! Lets take it easy on these YOUNG GUNS. They don't know what they missed out on.;)

2. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Those are some really good memories. I was hoping for a break between snow and spring cleanups but it doesn't look like I will get much of one.

Gravely_Man

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

May They return SOON.

4. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Man I'm pumped now! :blob4: :blob3: :blob1:

Half that stuff probably still exists to some people.

Remember the chain zero turns from Pro Star?

5. SR Landscaping

SR Landscaping LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I don't remember the pro-star, I had a zero turn with chains called a Mowin-machine.

6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Don't remember most of those things. How much was gas back them?

7. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

you guys are showing your age. :bday:

8. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

I used one of those orange Bobcats when I worked for my father, I took off the tip of my middle finger with a Little Wonder electric trimmer and I still have a 5hp blower that I use around the yard where I park.

Now all my mowers are red and hydro, trimmers are gas powered extended reach units and I wouldn't waste my time putting a 5 hp blower in my trailer unless it has shoulder straps.

9. djsmokin

djsmokin LawnSite Member

I am way too old. I remember push reel mowers(no engine) with grass catchers, 23 cent gasoline and 20 cent packs of smokes. Oh yeah, $1900 new pickup trucks too.

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Shoot, what's a beeper? If that's a memory then you are a youngin'. I remember when we got a TV for the first time, when we got our first color TV and first cable TV. Electric trimmer, what's that? We used to only have those hand grass trimmers. A lot of houses went untrimmed in those days. When I was real young we had a party line telephone. All of the phones were black and you left them behind when you moved out of the house. When we moved up in the world we had to dial 5 numbers to make a local phone call. Now we have to dial 10. Toys were either made of metal or wood. Propeller driven aircraft ruled the skies. When I went to elementary school we practiced the nuclear weapons drill where you got under you desk, stuck your head between your legs and kissed you butt goodbye.

I could go on and on.