Remember your seat belts!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sdwally, Aug 7, 2003.

1. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

Had to post, not too often you will see something like this. It happened yesterday. Operator was driving across the top of the hill when the belt that supplies power to the hydro pumps broke. Unit lost drive power and steerablity. Front end swang down and gravity took over. Operator paniced and forgot about the parking brake. Operator suffered not injuries, except to his underwear. He was wearing his seat belt.
    The retaining wall is about 4' high, much higher and he would have tested the ROPS. Frame seems to be ok. Deck, front castor wheels and forks, rear radiator mounts, 1 oil cooler, and front extension arms toasted.

If he had not had his seat belt on, he would have had many abrassions and possible broken bones from eating the pavement.
  2. sdwally

Sorry, here a picture.

scag meets wall.jpg
  3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry to hear this. Glad to see operator is OK. Looks like it wasn't a fun ride. Maybe we'll see it on Ebay soon?

Just noticing the front suitcase weights....Situation MAY have been avoided if front weights were not present. You may need the weights to counteract the ROPS however, I don't know. Any weight added to the front of a ZTR is asking for trouble on hills. As long as you are able to control a wheelie going up a hill, then just say no to front weights.

ON EDIT: Is that the way a mulch kit leaves a lawn looking? I wouldn't be happy with the results if it were me.
  4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

cra*!!! and as you said, probably literally!:eek:

5. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the front end definitely needs weight due to the rops, and addition of the canopy. The canopy I built is no where near that heavy and it lightens my front end significantly.

I am glad no one is hurt and the mower is salvageable. If he would have slid sideways over that edge it would have most likely killed him even with a seat belt.

6. Looks like if the wall had been a couple of feet higher the seatbelt/ROPS combo would have killed him.

Would have been a half gainer right onto his face. The sun shield would have folded and the mower would have crushed him.
    It looks like the ROPS was positioned to save the engine not the operator.

Thanks but no thanks. My seatbelt and ROPS are in the trash.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Agreed David.

The first things to go on my JD Front runners were the ROPS (Tree limb grabber) and the seat belt.

That ROPS on the SCAG would help in a side roll maybe, but the thought of being strapped in by a seatbelt just seems scary!
  8. sdwally

Explanation about the suitcase weights:

Our units are equiped with the 31hp turbo diesel. Without the weights you can do wheelies on flat ground easily. On hillsides we had a problem with the front end bunnie hopping while mowing around headstones. This engine puts out plenty of hp and torque, which is needed for mulching in heavy grass with the 72" deck. When we demoed these units, the vendor had a solution of adding the weight kit from a rear bagging kit to the demo unit. 4 weights were not quite enough, but 5 weights on the front solved the problem of the bunnie hop.
    We demoed about 12 different brands before buying. Only 3 brands offered a 72" deck at that time. Scag mowed circles around 1 of the 3 brands. The other brand was not quite as powerful and had a major drawback, it could not maintain traction on hillsides.
  9. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

You wouldn't catch me wearing a seat belt on that thing, either.
  10. sdwally

The ROPS goes all the way forward to the front of the canopy, it's not just under the rear area where you see the mounting for the canopy.
    I'm glad the operator didn't have to test ROPS.