REMINDER!! Be VERY cautious!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chuckwk, Sep 17, 2003.

1. chuckwk

chuckwk Founder
    from KC, MO

I just found another brown recluse spider, this one was running across my floor.... this is the 4th one I have found (the other 3 were dead) since I called the exterminator... this sucker was at least 2"across... he is HUGE!! I caught this one alive in a Kleenex and threw him in a zip lock bag.... I'm gonna watch him suffer! I swear to you when I cornered this spider he stood guard against me, hunching back and raising his front legs in the air with fangs out... attack mode.

How the heck do I get rid of these things completely!?! It scares me to death to even consider my son getting 'bit' by one of these.

2. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Are you sure it wasn't a Wolf spider?Some Wolf spiders look alot like Brown Recluse spiders.Since it was running across the floor,I kinda doubt it was a Brown Recluse as they tend to stay in dark places like shoes,under furniture,crawlspaces,etc.,,Can you post a pic of this rascal?
    Usually in the fall Wolf spiders start coming indoors to escape the coming cool weather.They hunt on the ground(prowl) and I suspect that is what this one was doing.
    I get these every fall.They can scurry pretty quickly and do make ya stop and check em out after killing them because they look so much like a Recluse.

3. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I've found that chlorine bleach sprayed from a spray bottle works pretty good on spiders. Spray it in all the cracks and crevices that you can find and pour a small amount in the basement drains if you have them.

4. chuckwk

chuckwk Founder
    from KC, MO

Oh, I'm absolutely positive its a recluse, I just stuck that sucker on a slide and checked it out close under the micro-scope... its the exact same as the others I found, and I sent the first one I found to Rick Vetter (Entomology) at the university of California... he emailed me back about 3 weeks ago with a positive ID. This evening I had all the lights out cuz I was thinking about sleep... (not anymore)... maybe that's why he was out and about..? .. also, he freaked out when I shined the flash light on him... he darted from the light.

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Funny you should say this.....I seen a large spider at work today and yelled at 2 other guys "look at that brown reclose" and they said it was not, but a wolf spider.

MATT

6. chuckwk

chuckwk Founder
    from KC, MO

fyi.. its not 2" in width... it looked a lot bigger in the plastic bag... a little amplified by bag and the fear factor. ... Just over 3/4"

7. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

I think I got bit by one of these spider. I had this spider bite on my foot and it was like black. I was thinking about that picture from a few weeks ago on the brow recluse but the bite is almost gone nowi guess it wasnt one. And yesterday i found some brown 1" spider right where i sleep. He was really fast and i couldnt kill him. So hopefully it was a wolf spider

8. chuckwk

chuckwk Founder
    from KC, MO

I think the guy in that pic has an extra-ordinary reaction to the recluse bite... it was awful!

9. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Chuck,
    If you know for sure it's a Brown Recluse then you've got to get a pest control service out there ASAP.They need to spray your entire home,especially under it if you have a crawl space.If you're seeing that many then you have a major infestation on your hands.My sister-in-law got bit by one when she was getting dressed one morning.Left a quarter size hole in her thigh.Not too deep,but a hole non the less.Their home was infested and had to have it sprayed a few times to get rid of them.They were all under the house.
    Good luck!

10. chuckwk

chuckwk Founder
    from KC, MO

Yea, the first exterminator just sprayed all around the living space and laid down a bunch of 'traps' that don't work.... I called another exterminator right after I found this one tonight, I am going to have them soak the crawl space.. I just feel sorry for the guy that has to get under there!! (better his job than mine!)