1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Reminder to lock it up!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rider1000, Jul 8, 2001.

1. rider1000

rider1000 LawnSite Member

Friday we had just pulled into an exclusive neighborhood, when a guy flags me down asking if we had seen a orange truck, trailer, and mowers go by. I told him no and asked what was going on. He had went to a backyard to trim and was only gone for a couple of minutes. When he came back around front of the house, everything was gone. Asked him how they stole his truck so quick, and he said he had left the keys in his cupholder. He said he never thought his equipment would get stolen in this type of neighborhood. A good lesson to be learned here, never assume just because it's a good neighborhood doesn't mean that theives aren't waiting.
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

That is a real bummer. :(

This has happened before and it will happen again and again. He should of had his equipment listed on Lawnsite's OPEfacts.com. We work in some nice areas, but I still keep an eye on things and the keys are always in my pocket. You can never be to safe. I hope he finds his stuff.
  3. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

you should always keep your keys with you.i never close up my trailer or windows only because someones always in the front while im in the back.this is why i trim first .one guy starts mowing the front while you go directly into the back and do all the triming first ..you guys got to get into some routine of locking up your equiptment .its a shame that that guy had his whole business riped from him because some junkie cant get a job.im telling these guys dont sleep watch out...
  4. dhicks

dhicks Member

On Friday, my Toro dealer was telling me about a lawn contractor who purchased two 21" Toro Proline mowers at about $900.00 each. The contractor stopped to gas us his truck, went to the the head and bought some snacks. When he retured to the truck, (yep you guessed it) both mowers were gone.

You know I can stand plenty of misbehavior but when you mess with a persons income/livelyhood that's lower than a snakes skateboard.