Remote Access Office

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by gkell88, Aug 29, 2002.

1. gkell88

gkell88 LawnSite Member

Do any of you have experience accessing your PC from a remote location? My office lady is going to be stuck at home for awhile, and I'm trying to get a crash course in Remote Access.

Any and all advice appreciated,

Gary

2. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not sure as I don't do it but my brother in law uses PC Anywhere by Symantec. He sets his computer to answer his modem and remotely accesses from a laptop while traveling. I don't think you need any programs on your remote unit as you are operating the main PC from another location.

Program should be available thru major computer and business stores locally or on line, and is not expensive.

3. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

PC Anywhere works well. The versions I have used utilized modem to modem access, I believe the newer versions can utilize the internet. You can do remote printing, etc. She could control the office pc from a remote location. Depending on the connection speed, the response time might not be real good, but it should be functional.

There are also other programs out there that perform the same function. Laplink is one that I know of. If you have some one you depend on for computer help you might run it by them also.

4. drobson

drobson LawnSite Member

I use PCAnywhere often and it works well. You will need to install one version on the host and one on the remote machine and the machine in your office will need to be on. The good thing is that if your using NT or Windows 2000 you can leave the PC locked so that nobody can mess with it while the remote is controlling it. If the PC is not locked then someone at the PC in your office will be able to override what the remote is doing. In fact you will be able to watch every keystroke and mouse movement the remote is doing (which might be interesting).

I know of another program called Carbon Copy, I know a few people that use this and like it; however, PCAnywhere seems to be the computer industry standard for remote to host control. If your using it over an internet connection and not a dial-up, then you can even set it up so that you can take over from another remote user while they are on. This is great if the other remote user forgets to logoff.

5. bill--bls

bill--bls LawnSite Member

yes it's called a lap top