Remote Advice for Pumping Lake water

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Lawn Hack, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Lawn Hack

Lawn Hack LawnSite Member
    from TX

I have a boathouse 500 ft. from my controller. There is a low voltage conduit that runs to the boat house, but I would have to be destructive to fish another set of wires to the relay that starts my pump. I have the Rain Bird Esp controller at the house and want advice about using it with a remote transmitter to switch the 24 volt relay to turn on the 220 volt pump for each cycle.

Who makes the BEST, Least maintaince, reliable remote transmitter at a reasonable cost that would do this job? ANY ADVICE is greatly appreciated.

2. Interesting problem. I can see using a remote to turn on the pump but I'm not sure how to see using the RB ESP to activate a remote to turn on the pump. If you have low voltage wire going to the pump from the controller why do you need a second set?

3. Lawn Hack

from TX

I actually have two sets of wires. One for an alarm and the second for a phone. The original problem was 22 guage wire. I actually had a powered transformer made to accept the extra two wires in the phone cable and boost it to 24 volt at the relay, tested it and found that the alarm installer used the "extra two wires" in the phone for the light panel at the house that tells you when the alarm is on. Bummer. Spent hours making the device and installing to find out the extra yellow in black wires were being used.

If I could use the 24 volts from the rb -esp to send a signal to the relay at the boat house, I'm in business.

All 22 zones are in and tested. Last piece of the puzzle is the pump relay.

4. Lawn Hack

from TX

Thanks. They have something I could make work, but within 100ft. This is a real problem. I may have to trench down and run conduit. The rub is running conduit over water. The boat house has 100ft pier and pump si another 30 ft away from the pier. Thanks for the referral.

5. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

6. Lawn Hack

from TX

Very Cool. I will take a closer look. I thought that the irrigation companies made things to radio valves on and off so made sense to me that they would have something for a controller and relay. Guess I was wrong. Is it worth calling RB?

7. Naaaaah......We know more about their stuff then they do.....

8. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't. That remote always comes up when I do a sprinkler remote search on ebay.