1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Remote control?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, May 21, 2006.

1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

After finally finding all 29 valves controlled by five controllers the owner has asked for other options. I said that one controller should have been used initially with a central location. He agreed. Now we have as much as 100' between controllers.

I would like to run all controllers from a central location. The controllers are now SRCC Hunter units. We usually install the PRO-C but I think the SRCC is remote compatible. However, we don't know about controlling all of them remotely from one place.

2. bdb

bdb LawnSite Member

I think the Hunter IMMS central control software you can do that but its expensive! The other option is to trench in the wire between them.:dizzy:
  3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Yup... It would have made life a lot easier with only one centrally located controller for all those zones. Wire is cheap (compared to controllers) and then a remote would be activating one controller from one remote.

I'm not familiar with Hunter's controllers and their remote capability (except the WVC). We use an Eicon remote for use with our Irritrol MC-Plus controllers. Although we have two sets of the transmitter/receiver units we cannot have them used at the same time within a mile of each other. They share the same radio frequency and the controllers do not have specific security codes. Unless we were able to change the RF of one set of transmitter/receiver then we would be able to use them simultaneously.

I can say that a bank of Hunter WVCs can be controlled via one wireless programmer/remote. Each controller is given (you program what you want) a unique three digit ID number and you can only communicate with that one at any given time. Two guys with two programmers/remotes can communicate with two different WVCs at the same time on the same frequency because of this security feature.

Now with a central control unit much more can be established but they are quite expensive.
  4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

I just looked at the Hunter web page and it appears that their two other remotes can be programmed with security codes allowing multiple use at the same location.
  5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

6. jcom

Thanks to all for the info and opinions. I think the best would be to pull new cable from the remote controllers in to a central locale. Now the snafu. The "central locale" is changing from year to year as new manufactured homes arrive and "one" is designated as the "office". The owners of this "dealership" do not like the managers to have to go outside to regulate the irrigation.

Ideas and opinions are welcomed. Even if critical.

7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Have them pick a spot on the site to be the "irrigation utility shed", mount your central timer there.

Tell the lazy managers to take a hike.

Manufactured home parks are such cost cutters its crazy. I hate working for HOA's and things like that. They always originally go with the lowest bidder, get a POS system, and then spend a fortune to have us fix it.
  8. jcom

Jeez, DW,

You took all the thoughts and ideas I had. Yep, they have a POC (piece of crap) system and I have to make it the best I can. I told them it would be expensive, and they are ok with it right now as they have been without irrigation for a couple of years. At least now, with a visit to the controller they will run. We programmed them initially and all is well.

Thanks for the input.

9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

John, I've been there done that. We maintain several HOA's and condo complexes...
  10. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay, I may be missing something but 29 zones does not warrant a central/satellite system.

Run the wires back to a convenient location and install a 32 station Hunter, Rainbird, or even a Rainmaster. It will give you all the features you need, and most of the high end controllers can be operated by a computer data port.

It will make your life a lot easier if you don't have to keep running out to the job site to reprogram the central and find out why one of the satellites isn't working etc.