Lawn Care Forum banner

remote for start ups

9K views 59 replies 20 participants last post by  richgauci 
#1 ·
I was wondering if you guys have invested in remotes for start ups and service calls and is it worth the investment?
Posted via Mobile Device

#3 ·
Without a doubt, remotes are worth the investment. They save a tremendous amount of time and energy. Remotes replace an employee standing at a timer just to change the zones. When working on repairs, remotes quickly allow the technician to identify problems in the field and turn off/on a zone in seconds.

#4 ·
I couldn't see working with out it but I've built up enough business to justify the $1200 price. There was a time I couldn't imagine spending that much on it though so I guess only you can answer if it's worth it. Do you work alone, if so I'd say yes. Not only does it save time but if you work alone it makes it possible to do things you could never do. Example: need to flush a line and then screw something on quickly, just hit the remote for a sec. One thing, if you decide to go remote don't try to save money, get the best. Read some past threads on here.

#5 ·
I couldn't see working with out it but I've built up enough business to justify the $1200 price. There was a time I couldn't imagine spending that much on it though so I guess only you can answer if it's worth it. Do you work alone, if so I'd say yes. Not only does it save time but if you work alone it makes it possible to do things you could never do. Example: need to flush a line and then screw something on quickly, just hit the remote for a sec. One thing, if you decide to go remote don't try to save money, get the best. Read some past threads on here.
One gets what one pays for, therefore one should buy the best one can afford. A piece of equipment that eliminates the need for an assistant will in the long run make one more productive, saving the employer/sole operator money.

I have yet to be convinced that a remote can both save the client money while making the user more money. I can see the client saving money on hourly labor savings but they still have the investment of labor and materials for remote capability.

I can also see where a remote can save an operator time onsite and labor if an assistant is required to run the controller but, if you're time onsite is reduced your billing should reflect the savings.

I agree that one should have a remote but I also think that everyone should have a multimeter, a locator, a pressure testing kit and a shop vac in the truck as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

I guess my confusion may be due to the fact that service people charge by the hour or fraction thereof.

#7 ·
I've never had a guy go with me to operate the controller. Yes I have a RM remote, but I still use it less than 20% of the time. Still somewhat stuck in old ways, and don't have the time quite often to take 15-20 minutes to install the pigtail or explain to the customer why they should be charged for it. I love it, and wish pigtails were set up on all jobs. If by myself, I either just run through a 2-3 minute test cycle for all zones checking and adjusting, go back and forth to the controller to advance zones, or turn on manually at the manifold and then just a quick check to make sure they turn on electrically.

Yes, remotes make it easier and quicker. But when pressed for time, I can't justify an extra 15-20 minutes per job installing a tail, when I have 5-10 jobs set per day. Yes it would make it easier for future service calls.

Larger jobs I try to push for the tail. 1-8 zone systems are the ones I let slide without.

#8 ·
I've never had a guy go with me to operate the controller. Yes I have a RM remote, but I still use it less than 20% of the time. Still somewhat stuck in old ways, and don't have the time quite often to take 15-20 minutes to install the pigtail or explain to the customer why they should be charged for it. I love it, and wish pigtails were set up on all jobs. If by myself, I either just run through a 2-3 minute test cycle for all zones checking and adjusting, go back and forth to the controller to advance zones, or turn on manually at the manifold and then just a quick check to make sure they turn on electrically.

Yes, remotes make it easier and quicker. But when pressed for time, I can't justify an extra 15-20 minutes per job installing a tail, when I have 5-10 jobs set per day. Yes it would make it easier for future service calls.

Larger jobs I try to push for the tail. 1-8 zone systems are the ones I let slide without.
You don't have a pigtail with clips? On larger systems I install a permanent one but most smaller systems I just use the clips.

#9 ·
One gets what one pays for, therefore one should buy the best one can afford. A piece of equipment that eliminates the need for an assistant will in the long run make one more productive, saving the employer/sole operator money.

I agree that one should have a remote but I also think that everyone should have a multimeter, a locator, a pressure testing kit and a shop vac in the truck as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

I guess my confusion may be due to the fact that service people charge by the hour or fraction thereof.
I carry all the above except the shop vac.

#12 ·
Each of our 3 Service techs carry Hunter, Rainbird, & WeatherMatic remotes on there trucks.

I personally carry a commercial Hunter Roam-XL, Rainbird, WeatherMatic, and Hunter Decoder Remote with me all the time. The amount of time they save is tremendous.
Maybe you can explain how the customer saves money while you are making more money using a remote.
Posted via Mobile Device

#13 ·
I personally carry the Hunter Roam and the Rainbird LIMR. 95% of all controllers I come across are one of these 2 brands. I come across the random toro, but haven't seen a new toro installed in a home in probably 15 years here as TORO seemed to stop repping this area a while ago.

The hunter roam remote is likely the 2nd best $125.00 I EVER spent on an irrigation tool (besides my meter). I couldn't imagine being without it and it actually has a fair signal on medium size commercial jobs. Great signal on standard residential (1 acre or less) and extremely good response time. Buy the package, get a smart port, butt splice some alligator clips to the smart port and you are hooked up to most hunter controllers within 30 seconds.

Rainbird LIMR, blah... Yes, I would probably buy another one simply for the sake of needing it. The quick connects are nice I guess. Response time is horrible, Price is horrible, It's janky and you here the batteries bouncing around the whole time you use it. It goes into sleep mode relatively quickly, yet somehow it trounces batteries at 5 times the speed of the little hunter remote. It has far too many steps involved for a simple residential/small commercial remote and it loves to say "retry" at least once every time you tell it to turn on or off a zone. This can be very trying when you need a quick response. It's also tremendously oversized for no real reason, because it certainly isn't for any beneficial reason in signal strength. THAT SAID, there is really no substitute for being able to stay in one spot and run tests without having to sprint back and forth to the controller. While reviewing systems or going over them with customers.

I don't own a rainmaster, Im not really into large commercial work. I thought about it, but couldn't justify pigtailing the 350 new customers I take on each year. If I were on large commercial sites regularly, it would probably be a no brainer.

#14 ·
Rainbird LIMR, blah... Yes, I would probably buy another one simply for the sake of needing it. The quick connects are nice I guess. Response time is horrible, Price is horrible, It's janky and you here the batteries bouncing around the whole time you use it. It goes into sleep mode relatively quickly, yet somehow it trounces batteries at 5 times the speed of the little hunter remote. It has far too many steps involved for a simple residential/small commercial remote and it loves to say "retry" at least once every time you tell it to turn on or off a zone. This can be very trying when you need a quick response. It's also tremendously oversized for no real reason, because it certainly isn't for any beneficial reason in signal strength. THAT SAID, there is really no substitute for being able to stay in one spot and run tests without having to sprint back and forth to the controller. While reviewing systems or going over them with customers.
Great assessment. The LIMP is crap. We own two. Rarely used. RB has tried to make a few remotes, and they all turn out to be crap. Not sure why they can't get it right.

#17 ·
i have the rain bird remote as well, and have the same feelings, i love to hate it. the batteries jangle around and lose connection, having to restart the remote and acquire signal. ive folded up a small piece of AL can to 'tighten it up' between the batteries :sleeping: it seems to help.

goes through batteries like crazy, sometimes it works flawless, other times it was more of a pain to wait on it, than to go back to the controller.

id say a very large percentage of our customers have some era of esp controller, even some of the old ones that have a remote port, which is kinda cool i guess. I carry extra pigtails and if im working on the controller ill go a head and install one. but its easy enough to plug one up and set it on top of the controller to go thru the system.

death to any controller without a test cycle function... at least some of the older controllers i can set a progam B into a test cycle pretty quick...

#18 · (Edited)
We use TRC. I think one universal is good enough. Rm or TRC.. Why pay attention to more items then you need to?

I also rarely install pig tails- on first time visit's I strip back the wiring to attach alligator clips. First time visits this takes a few minutes.. While I start doing this I immediately start explaining the benefits of using a remote

It takes 1-2 min on a return visit standard resi 6-12 zones system to hook the remote back up depending on the kind of controller and the availability of space between the clips

I can't do my job properly with out a remote. I want to save ppl money.. but when I'm wasting my time because I'm not using my time efficiently with out a remote .

I fully believe you won't be able to get the ' entire picture' of a sprinkler system if you are turning it on / running back and forth from the remote. There are so many missed items with out a remote. Hidden leaks/ breaks that gurrgle when zones are starting up. Missed heads, identifying improper designs, identifying redundant watering from multiple zones. Quickly diagnosing flow issues .

I usually deal with the tougher jobs but I had a fun one the other day. New customer- 3 zones- all heads dribbled water. I found out quickly the meter was only on 1/4 of the way after this I turned on the zones... It was such horrible install. In 3 zones I turned off about 15 spray heads and renozzled about 20. I was there 1.25 hours. Now the system is working in such an amazing state prior to me arriving.. No way I couldn't do this with out a remote. I would loose motivation walking back 45 times to swap nozzles and turn off heads .

If I have a a$$ backwards system and the customer says well my back yard lawn really does not do well.. I can show the customer by turning on zone 1, 4 and 7 ( All next to eachother back lawn ) the inadequacy of head spacing , improper nozzling and design flaws. Showing them the situation.. Doing so allows the customer an understanding in lamen terms to themselves to why justifying the cost of renovating to fix the issue. I couldn't do this with a remote

Alright rant over.. Get a remote.

#22 ·
Well jim when things turn into T/M.

And you need to check Leaks on pipe status of stuck valves that run on a pump start.Should the client be charged XYZ an hr for Joey sprinkler to stand at the clock or walk to the clock every 15 mins.

it saves steps which saves time when on T/M means $$
That didn't answer the question. You're going to charge XYZ regardless. If you charge the client for 15 minutes, its a wash. The client pays for the time and materials. If you are saving the client 15 minutes (for sake of argument) it just cost you 15 minutes.

I know that the remote saves you time, which is what you bill the client. The less time that you are onsite, the less the client pays. It also means you have less billable time which means less money in your pocket.
Posted via Mobile Device

#25 ·
That didn't answer the question. You're going to charge XYZ regardless. If you charge the client for 15 minutes, its a wash. The client pays for the time and materials. If you are saving the client 15 minutes (for sake of argument) it just cost you 15 minutes.

I know that the remote saves you time, which is what you bill the client. The less time that you are onsite, the less the client pays. It also means you have less billable time which means less money in your pocket.
Posted via Mobile Device
less time on job = more time for more jobs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.