1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Remote Operated Master Valve?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by txirrigation, Jul 20, 2011.

1. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

Of course you want to find the leak. However it may not be justifiable and a MV may be in order

If a system had 3 hours total run time and they watered 3 times a week. That's like cutting the leak down to 1/48th of what it was

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not sure that 2 gph is worth the effort, especially if it's spread over a large area. That's all of one of my shrub drippers.

3. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah. Depends on the size of the leak

4. Another idea came to me that I've done before in a similar situation.

Rob the wire from the nearest valve and make that the MV wire.

find the next nearest valve and install an add-a-zone on it and add the valve that had its wire robbed for the mv to that valve's wire.

5. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

The "Add-a-zone" info says that the added valve can be a master valve.
    Has anyone tried this yet?

6. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Problem is the DCVA is on an island in the parking lot. No valves around to steal the wire from, or "Add a Zone"

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You would probably have to go solar, if you wanted a bulletproof setup to power a master valve.

There is one thought that just occurred to me, and that is about roots. If there are 2gph worth of leaks around a mainline, and roots are in the area, do you really want to cut the flow? That is, will it encourage root intrusion where it wasn't happening before?

8. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

Can the master valve(s) be located in a different area where there is access to wires?
    Assuming the piping from the DCV to the area where the master valve(s) could be located does not have a leak in the main.

9. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Didn't think about that, it is a looped main with 2 different 2" dcva's supplying the system. There are also no as-builts available. I had a long talk with the prop. manager and I think we are just going to accept the 2gph loss.