remote operated valve

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by greenmonster304, Jan 25, 2008.

1. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I had a comment, but was distracted by the Irrigation Direct ad, sorry.

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

What hassles? Those actuated ball valves ain't cheap ya know.

4. greenmonster304

at least where i work many of the cusomers don't live in the house year round they are second homes and it can be a serious pita to schedule a time for them to be there or there house watcher to let me in. a lot of the people i work for would gladly pay $200 +- to not have to make special trip from nyc to shut off the sprinklers.

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

??, no externally accessible shutoff?

Perhaps one of these would be a cheaper solution.

http://www.watts.com/pro/_productsFull_tree.asp?catId=64&parCat=278&pid=735&ref=2

6. greenmonster304

most of the systems here are tapped into the houses water supply in the basement. but some have dedicated wells with the tank outside or dedicated water meters with curb stops.

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Check edited post with link.

8. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

9. zimmatic

zimmatic LawnSite Senior Member

I know the guy who came up with the Idea/marketing them. He works for Central irrigation out of MN also have offices in NY I belive. Anyways guys here In MN that I have talked to love them. On my higher end clientel I am going to install them and just send a bill (I have waited awhile to work some bugs out). Typical installation on resd in the mpls stp area have the water connetion inside the house. I have been in irrigaiton since 98 and have never seen a watts water shut off on a resd Everyone here seems to have to schedule a time to meet with the client. The other part is that most controllers are installed in the garage/inside house either way you have to get into the home to winterize the system. That is why I am only placing it in my upscale homes since 1 they can afford it, 2 I manualy start valves, or 3 I have a remote reciver already installed at there controller since I have to check the systems once a month and trying to get these busy people to be home at a certain time is a hassle.

Its all about the hassle factor for you and or your client. I can sell these things to anyone just most people will say "I can schedule a time to be home" and when they arent I remind them of what I can do for them. The "rich" people I will just install them and send a bill.

10. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

aliviator , and an ext controller will work real well in those situations. Ive installed nothing but ext clocks for 4 yrs now. Wish I started putting them in 14 yrs ago.